gpu of 4 and a half years seems to have died

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Aug 9, 2014.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    It didn't give any indication that it was going to die. No artifacts nothing.

What happened was i shut down my pc and then left it off for like i think maybe 2 hours. I go back and start it up and lo and behold nothing shows on the screen. I then change gpu to a 4870 x2 and it works so i suppose something is wrong with the gpu.

I think the warranty for it has expired can i repair the gpu? I know it's a few generations old so obviously there wouldn't be a 5970 in retail now except for 2nd hand which i wouldn't buy. Seriously can it be repaired or do i just have to buy a new one.

I don't get how it didn't work out of a sudden. I guess it's due to old age. I didn't OC the thing or anything i didn't even stress the system because i hardly game nowadays even though the cpu is OC to 4.2ghz but i guess it's downclocked the majority of the time since i don't run anything that requires computing power. I have not really cleaned the pc parts inside the rig for some time so i suppose they have dust on them but i don't think that could have caused the gpu to stop functioning. I have been turning on and off the rig more frequently while i would have left it on running in the past while i was away doing something. I want to save energy.

So guys what could be the cause of the gpu failing? No artifacts to give off warning signs.

Didn't clean the inside of the rig for months? Just old age? It's around 4 and a half years old. Frequent turning on and off of the rig? I have an ssd so it turns on and shuts off pretty fast and i figure if i'm not not actually using the pc why not just turn it off instead of letting it run. Could frequent turning on and off ruin some pc parts?

I actually wasn't planning on upgrading my pc parts for a period of time cause i'm just sick of pc hardware but this sudden problem has cause me to relook at things again. I suppose i could buy a more up to date gpu but i honestly want to fix my gpu

2 questions:

1. Can i repair my gpu of 4 and a half years cos warranty should have expired.

2. what could have caused it to stop working suddenly.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Hardware will more often than not fail when you power it on, that is when they are under a lot of sudden stress, so CAPs can pop etc

Check the board of the GPU for any obvious damaged components, CAPs usually look like they've opened up at the top, or leaked

[​IMG]

Check the GPU in another machine to be 100%

3. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

I don't have another rig as in the power supply for these types of gpus require that red colored thing to plug into the gpu to give it additional power and my other rig only has the non red ones. In fact i don't have another mobo that could probably even support this gpu. My other rig is running a duo core pentium with 2 gb of ram.

Is there a 3rd party that could open up the gpu to check? Have you heard of pc repair shops doing that?

Oh yes let's assume the caps have popped what should i do? Is that the end of the gpu?

Also what do you recommend for ppl that want to save power in their pc? If they want to turn it off should they just power on their rig say for a fixed number of times? Or should they just leave the rig on using up energy but not risk damaging the pc?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Usually it is a SMD component who went belly up.
    Problem is, wich one/s?
    A electronics repair shop with a reputable tech should fix that,for a fee.
    I fixed a few gpus in my time as a tech, but they had visible damage, blowed up mosfet ,damaged caps.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The 5970 just needs a 6pin and 8pin power leads, most fairly modern PSUs should have them so long as it has enough power

Most PC repair shops will just try and sell you another GPU id expect, unless you know one that is good with electronics / know an electronics repair shop

Personally Id have a look to see if it was an easy fix, and give it a shot myself, or just sell it for spares on ebay and use the money to upgrade to a new GPU

EDIT - And no, just use your PC as normal, there is no certain number of power cycles that a part will last, some might last 1 power cycle, some might last 10,000, its just the luck of the draw

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Even if a shop can repair it, it might be chipset ineffective considering the cost of a similar performance new part, longer driver support on the new part, DirectX 12 software support, Mantle etc. Of course, there are also no guarantees that it will work properly after fixing it, AMD you have still incurred the cost if it doesn't.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If all else fails there's 1 last resort solution:

Remove all loose parts and bake it in the over for about 10 mins at 200° C. I kid you not, this fixed my dead 8800GTX several years ago. But it was a yolo solution as well back then (and the card showed no visual damage).

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That only worked because of a specific (and quite known) manufacturing fault with those GPU's.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    It is known to work even to this day, you are just reflowing the solder, OP should give it a try.

Caps can be replaced, I had a router go out the other day and opening it up a cap had blown on the power input stage, easy enough fix, bought the cap for 50 cents.

When I say easy it does require some knowledge and basic equipment, soldering iron and such.

Last bit was for the OP.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    the problem is to know where is the fail and what need to be fixed.. if a cap have visible damage, you know it is this one you need to change, but otherwise it is a shoot in the dark. can be the pci express, the video output, a bad PWM chips...

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It has actually worked for other parts for me too (being a bit more conservative on the time in the oven though).

But like I said, it's truely a last resort option.

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    hi guys can someone link me to a page where i know what parts i am looking at and how to remove the cover and everything. Never opened up a gpu before.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDDO492ofnw

14. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Forget about having it fixed being it would cost you at minimum around 100.00 usd to repair caps if that's what it even is. Just purchase a new gpu and be done with it.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    How would a $5-20 CAP and a bit of soldering cost $100+ ?

16. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I'm located in singapore i don't even know if they have shops that fix it and what the issue with it is. But your advice sounds to be correct. Once the warranty of this is up it's better to buy the latest one.