NVIDIA PhysX and APEX support announced for Sony PS4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA announced that it will provide PhysX and APEX support for the AMD-based Sony PlayStation 4 console:NVIDIA today announced support for Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation®4 with the popu...

NVIDIA PhysX and APEX support announced for Sony PS4

2. BrainDedd

BrainDedd Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1070 OC
    Hoping this means that PhysX is coming to AMD soon ...

3. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    And here we go..nvidia offering physx and apex on AMD hardware. You know this doesn't mean anything for PC's, right?

4. ninogui

ninogui Guest

GPU:
    sapphire 7950
    Probably it will not. This is company executive deals. Money talks louder how could nvidia lets this pass even if they have to play along together a amd based mobo ?

its always about money money money don´t you ever forget that

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Physx is open source with a special liscense, its been possible to get AMD gpu accelerated physics for a while bit i imagine that is a very difficult task for an open source developer to accomplish, and amd clearly doesnt have the money or care to do it themselves.

I do think itd be nice if intel got into it though, the igp ought to be good enough for physx while a descrete gpu can work on visials.

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yeah, they're called a business for a reason.

But anyway, if you read the thing instead of just assuming "lol money" you'd see that its strictly an SDK. Something already available for the PC. Physx can easily run on your CPU, just as it will in the PS4.

7. Solid_State

Solid_State Guest

GPU:
    5870 VF3000A / GT430
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Lol, i dont understand why peoples continue to be misleaded by this anounce.

Its is only for CPU SDK..

PhysX libraries have allways been available on console, the same way it is for PC.. but by CPU only. PhysX run on AMD CPU, like it run on Intel CPU .. whatever it is in a console xbox 360 or in the PS2-3. PhysX is one of the hundred of library/sdk available for developpers on console. I find more interessant to see on gpu side, DirectX11 is available and Direcompute, ( and OpenCL if im right ) .. In a certain way, looking the base of the CPU cores are an AMD x86 Jaguar ( and not the sh.. Cell processors ). it will surely be easy more efficient for port the games then.

Where Peoples have see Nvidia have annonce the PS4 will use the AMD readon GPU for accelerate PhysX ?

Anyway, look like Nvidia have well choose his moment, when i see the numbers of threads so missleading..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Is it not ATI who have developp Havoc accelerate by the gpu at this time before Intel bought Havoc ? X1800PE 512 - X1900XTX . ( ATI stream computing shaders )

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It was based on HavokFX which utilized SM3.0. So yeah it probably was available on the X1900XTX and whatnot but it was also on 6800/7800 series as well.

I think the only game that ever used it was Hellgate: London and the product demos for Project Offset but that never actually came to light.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    This

/thread.

:)

13. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    so they can guet PhysX to ps4 and dont on amd for pc gpus what the hell i hope to see some physx on amd gpus aswel that would be good

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's not hardware accelerated physx, it's all done on the CPU like how it's done if you don't have an nvidia card.

This is nothing different than what is offered now.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    does it really matter, not like physic is anything new.