High CPU Usage and FPS drops when playing MKV 1080p files

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Zach_, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Hey guys,

Need some help with my new PC, I upgraded my CPU to a brand new i5 2500K and my motherboard to MSI Z77A-GD65, and got a fresh 1TB hard drive, performed a clean Windows 7 x64 install, my GPU is a Gigabyte Radeon HD6950 with the latest Catalyst drivers installed.

I've installed CCCP with LAV 0.5 and using KMPlayer to play MKV files and also MPCHC.

However, even though I tried using EVR in MPCHC and with CCCP and LAV installed, I am still seeing pretty high CPU usage when playing MKV files, usually around 30%, looks like the hardware acceleration is not working properly?

Additionally, during playback, sometimes the FPS will drop and the image will get a big choppy, the movie never gets stuck or anything, but the smooth playback definitely takes a hit.
    I have my GPU connected to a 42" LG HTDV which has 120Hz refresh rate (Doubles the fps from 60 to 120).

Maybe it's some setting I missed in the Catalyst Control Center? My PC should definitely be able to produce smooth playback 100% of the time...

Please help me, thanks.

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  3. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    Hmmm I didn't configure LAV just yet, but I'll make sure to do that when I get home, also, I'll check the thread you linked me to and provide updates.

Does it work with the KMPlayer? Also, just to make sure I understand, I should uninstall CCCP and LAV, reboot, then install SVP and try to watch the movie again, right?

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    SVP includes MPC-HC.

Just uninstall any players (like KMP) and codecs (like LAV, CCCP) that you have, download the full SVP installation pack (~30mb), install SVP and activate the SVP manager (option do to so by default, check it).

You won't ever go back to non-frame interpolated video again.

5. Zach_

Zach_ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC Sig 2
    WOW! I installed it and it worked like a charm! Everything runs so smooth now, no FPS drops or anything!

However, my CPU usage is still pretty high, peaks to about 50% when playing MKV files with SVP installed, is that normal? Since GPU acceleration is being used, shouldn't the CPU usage be much lower? I'm a little worried by that.

Also, if I try to select a 1920x1080 video profile, for some reason it won't let me and looks like the Video Profiles section always sticks to 1920x800... How can I set 1920x1080 profile as default?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012