Club3d HD7870xt jokercard Black Screen Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by diblet, Jan 23, 2013.

1. diblet

diblet Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7870xt
    I got this GPU yesterday, removed my old (GTX 460 1gb) from my pc and replaced it with HD7870, uninstalled everything related to Nvidia, booted and installed new CCC 13.1. Then i started to play Battlefield 3, 15mins and my first black screen appeared. I kept trying but everytime it ended in black screen.. :bang:

People still have problems with this card or is there a fix i haven't found out? :help:

2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Check ur temps and 12V lines.

3. diblet

diblet Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7870xt
    I used MSI afterburner with fancontrol, and my temps were 68-70 before it crashed, i have tryed without afterburner and i keep crashing in every game i have in my pc. I have tryed older driver versions, disabling 2D and no help. Different between my problem and most of the 7870 crashes/black screens is that i only get black screen, not looping sounds. What does that 12v mean and how do i do it? Does your jokercard work properly?

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    My card is new, like 2 weeks or so...
    12v- u could check with multimeter stability of ur current from PSU, maybe it degraded or so and damaged card.
    Black screens in many cases means faulty gpu or overheating gpu(while in game u get that blacscreen).
    I waitin 4 my paycheck to replace heatsink on this cart to accelero twin turbo or similiar, need silence and good cooling system for sure...

ANYWAY - u have sure right to return card to seller/manufacturer as faulty...in case Ur PSU is good.
    Check that card on other PC, find some1 with decent PSU and a little good will to help U

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

5. diblet

diblet Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7870xt
    My card is also new, not even 1 day old. Interesting.. By lowering my core clock from 970 -> 900 mhz i was able to play full round without black screen! :) My max temps was 74'c for a half hour play, everything @ ultra and 1920x1080. I will try few more runs before celebrating, but if this is the way to fix it, can i do some tweaks that i can get that 970 mhz core clock? Adjusting that "Power Limit (%)" maybe? It's now in +0 (MSI afterburner).

6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    y, forgot to add, for safety reasons, i lowered clocks too to 940 and have fan speed at 39% all the time, little noisy but temps reach 70 Celsius max.

When I had previous gfx( 4850 and 6850) I replaced its coolers just after my purchase...so 6850 works well still, but on my second PC.
    Black screen happends too...if card was overheated on stock coolers. Or freezes.
    AND i dont play BF3 atm a lott, just few mins played yesterday, like whole round, to check card, and sweetfx adjustments.

7. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Club3D HD7870 (Tahiti LE)
    I bought the same card (Club3D HD 7870 jokerCard (Tahiti LE)) a couple of days ago and it is definitely a great card but I am getting issues very similar to the OP's.

My screen doesn't exactly lose signal and go black but while running graphic intensive games like Far Cry 3 / Total War Shogun 2 / Heaven 3.0 DX11 Benchmark / etc. my PC randomly hangs on me and freezes completely and then I have to reboot (restart) it. The screen it freezes it may or may not be looping sounds and sometimes it is striped with vertical lines and sometimes horizontal lines.

The reason I am posting this here is because these issues are very random. Just last night I played a full hour or so of Planetside 2 / Total War Shogun 2 (Maximum graphic settings / 1080p) and also tried 15 mins burn-in of FurMark without my PC hanging on me.

And then as I proceeded to test it with Heaven 3.0 it reproduced that freeze in under 5 minutes or so. I restarted it and let Heaven 3.0 loop for a bit and to no surprise I was able to reproduce that frozen screen again. Instead this time there were no stripped vertical/horizontal lines but a plain whitish/bluish screen where my PC froze and a restart was necessary (Ctrl+Alt+Delete / Alt+Tab - Nothing works! :bang:).

Now I am still not sure if these issues are caused by bad drivers or if this is a faulty card. Over the last 2 days since I bought it I have had it crash on me 4 or so times and it's always completely random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what the problem may be. Please guys, I am not sure if I should return my card or what! I should mentioned, I have not overclocked my card or CPU and I don't feel like underclocking/undervolting it because I feel it should work perfectly right out of the box on factory settings.

Thanks a bunch for reading my essay! :nerd:

Edit: Forgot to mention temps were around 76-80'c under load which seems completely normal for this card. And GPU-Z logs say the 12v rails fluctuate between 12.1 (no load) to around 11.81 (during load) which again research has shown to be normal. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  8. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Return them, get Nvidia and dont look back.

9. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    That seems to be the general consensus on countless threads where people seem to be having issues with AMD drivers and such but I am not sure if this is driver related (I am currently on 12.11beta11, I can't install 13.1! It says 'AMD Display Driver' is already and installed and up to date. It says the same of CCC. It says 'Catalyst Control Center' is already and installed and up to date.) or if it just a bad card. :cry:

And one more thing, nVidia doesn't have any GPU in this price range that could even close to this thing's performance! I would probably have to dish out an extra $100 to get the Geforce 660 ti which performs exactly like my 7870 (Tahiti LE) if not better.

10. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I had one Asus 7770 1gb dcu 1.25v(1200/5500) and one Asus 7850 2gb dcu v2 1.28v(1250/5500) and i sold them, they both worked well with good overclock made by me but the problem was the flickering on DX9 games.That and the cursor of the mouse bug while browsing.

Either your PSU is not good or you should return that card.

11. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Prior to this card I had a HiS HD 7750 installed in my system which isn't exactly a power hungry card (quite the contrary) but it ran everything I threw at perfectly!

So I don't think it is an issue of AMD cards per se but probably a case of a bad card (after looking at the first-gen of Xbox 360's I am not surprised :p) / driver issues.

Still glad to see you got your issues worked out. And yes, if everything else fails (messing with drivers and such) I will have to return it to my vendor tomorrow...

12. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Anyone else with a Club3D 7870 XT (Tahiti Limited Edition) facing similar issues?

Computer freezing/locking up during 3D graphic intensive applications? (Sometimes vertical stripped lines, sometimes a black screen) (sometimes looping sounds etc.). Desktop runs perfectly fine with no freezes whatsoever...

13. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    yes if i were you i return to nvidia my 6850 does the same freezes,black screem, no hdmi sound a complete shi........ i rather have my burned gtx 260 that was the gpu i have when i shiped to this one and problems big problems dud if the 260 didnt stop working it stil was my gpu but now i wil guet stuck with this amd for a long time couse things here are not good to spend more money on a nvidia but if you have a minor chance guet closer performance nvidia gpus couse with amd mate you wont guet far

14. diblet

diblet Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7870xt
    I have the exact same problem as you 1ceMaster. What i found out was that when i downclocked my GPU to 900mhz i was able to play BF3 to the boredom. In 2 hour play it crashed once, but when i ran Heaven 3.0 DX11 it crashed almost immediately, restarted PC and it ran fine 2 Heaven runs.

I have tryed drivers randomly from 12.1 to 13.1 and nothing has fixed this problem so i assume it has nothing to do with drivers. I have contacted my vendor already and i am sending this back on monday, so they can "investigate" it. It's just too unstable to be fun, but the performance it gave doesn't make me want to quit too easy. :knock:

15. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Same here. Waiting for my vendor to get new stock and he will surely replace the card. And just like you mentioned under-clocking at least makes the card usable... I found 925 as GPU Core Clock and 1400 as Memory Core Clock is the sweet spot and will 'magically' fix your device and make the crashes disappear. They will still come back in heavy usage and that clearly suggests our cards are the ones to blame.

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    hangouts and freezes looks to me like bad 12V rail PSU.
    Few days ago I cleaned system from drivers, and went again to 12.11b4, no issues so far...
    Can't reproduce Skyrim artifacting(but I'm not playin it so much atm), so I keep this card now...maybe next week or two I'll replace cooling system on this card.
    It is little noisy while BF3 or FC3 playin.

17. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    I don't think the issue is a bad 12v rail at all. If you read my previous post slightly under-clocking the card fixes the issue perfectly (I don't get any freezing anymore even in the most graphic intensive games and apps no matter how long I play) and I don't think under-clocking the card by just 50 Mhz or so would put that much less load on the Power Supply that the 12v rail would stop malfunctioning even on very graphic intensive games like The Witcher 2.

18. diblet

diblet Guest

GPU:
    Club3d 7870xt
    I logged back to update my status. I received a new card from the vendor, i ran 3x haeven benchmarks in a row with 13.1 drivers and it seems to work now. I fought 2 days with the crashing one so it came pretty familiar when it should have crashed, now i didn't even have to underclock! :) I will keep testing when i get better time for it and if i don't update this post anymore, everything is working perfect! :knock:

19. 1ceMaster

1ceMaster Guest

GPU:
    Congratulations! Seems like both of us had the same (or at least very similar) issue with our cards.

I returned mine a couple of weeks ago and got my replacement which seems to be working perfectly. Stress tested on Heaven Benchmark for a while without any issues at all. Done a lot of gaming since getting my new graphic card and it hasn't frozen my PC once. No black screens, no hanging.

Glad both of us got our issues resolved.

A tip for anyone else with similar freezing / black screen issues: It's probably bad hardware in your GPU especially if under-clocking fixes your problem. Get it replaced or RMA it before your warranty period is over.

20. Solitude

Solitude Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 XT 2GB
    I am planning and saving to buy this graphics card in the coming month. But seems like its risky, the consistency of hardware performance reliability is a question..