Mice

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by scoter man1, Sep 13, 2016.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hey guys,

My deathadder's middle click is giving out on me so I'm starting to look for a new mouse. I went to bestbuy earlier to try a few mice on for size. I gravitated towards the Steel Series Rival 300, and the Logitech G900. I preferred the G900 a little bit because it has a left/right tilt in the scroll wheel, but I can't dump $120 on a mouse.

I also tried the Logitech G502 and G602. I'm not a fan of the buttons near the thumb, pretty annoying honestly. Also tried the Logitech MX Master, not a fan of the shape.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I have big hands so it makes deciding a bit hard.

Edit:
    I'd also be open to trying to crack open my deathadder and attempting to fix it, however it still seems to be making the "click" noise when you push down so I'm not sure if this is fixable.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have the original Steelseries Rival, which I believe they now have essentially rebranded as the Rival 300. It's a great mouse! It uses the PMW3310 sensor, the Rival 500 is similar but uses the later PMW3360 sensor.

If your Deathadder is still making a click noise it is possible the contact points are dirty. You could use a good quality electrical contact cleaner spray, but these cost a little. Good thing is that you can use it on anything for years ahead, so it doesn't go to waste.

Like this product:
    https://www.amazon.com/CRC-5103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm liking my Rival 300. I doubt you would be disappointed by it, but it's always good to study the situation carefully if you aren't in a terrible hurry. This mouse hasn't really got anything that would bother me, aside from the constant Steelseries software updates. When the mouse was brand new, it didn't work properly in UEFI, but the first firmware update fixed that.

Build quality feels decent (not super, but decent), the buttons are fine, including the thumb buttons, the scroll wheel is perfect for me. The surface materials are also jolly good for a good grip. I hope they last, but at least in little less than a year there's no wear'n'tear.

4. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well after chewing through 3 Razer Death Adders due to buttons giving up or breaking and a Razer controller that broke 3 days after I got it, I decided to give up on Razer for good. I even took the controller back, got a new one and it broke within a week....You can try to fix your mouse- I fixed one of mine for about a month but it just kept breaking. Razer is just garbage imo.

2 years ago I decided to pick up a Logitech G700s and its the best mouse I have ever used. Expensive, yes, but dammit its good. I am not sure how the G900 is, but just from my experience, you can't go wrong.

Like you said, you have big hands and that is gonna make it hard for you. Not as many options for people with banana fingers ;) Just make sure you feel each one like you have been and get the one that is the most comfortable. My Logitech also has buttons on the sides right next to the thumb and that was my only complaint at first too. But honestly I got used to it real quick. But I have smaller hands so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Good luck man!

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Razer you say...

I'll just leave this here:

Honestly if you're looking to buy a mouse within now or the next few months, just look for one with a 3360/3366 sensor. A few examples:

- Logitech G403 (should be very interesting for ex Deathadder users)
    - Logitech G502 / G900 / G303
    - Logitech G Pro (an MX300 on steroids)
    - Nixeus Revel (currently using this one)
    - DM1 PRO S

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    No doubt I don't like razer (I won't buy from them again). Somehow the Deathadder lasted me about 5 years. Anyways, it's definitely hard to find mice that work good for my hand size. My main concern with the buttons near the thumb (at least for the G502) is the trigger like one near the tip of the thumb. My hand basically rested on it which I was not cool with. The two that are on the side of the death adder and steel series don't bug me at all. It's too bad my best buy didn't have more of a selection available to try. There was a corsair there but it had a stupid amount of side buttons.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
  8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Just curious, are the mad cats rat mouses good/bad? It looks like they extend to be relatively long. My hand is about 21cm or 8.25" from middle finger tip to the base of my palm, that's why I'm looking for a stupid big mouse...

Most mice leave my pinky and ring finger off of the edge.

Edit: Looks like I can get the rat 5 on amazon for about $50. Not too bad if that isn't a POS mouse.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Some of those look quite... different. They have 13 different models according to their website. On Amazon, for a similar price, there seems to be several model choices. I think there may be some which are better than the one you selected. Not saying that it is bad at all, just going by the info available that you could possibly get one that is 'better'.

Rat Pro S:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HZPX6U/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_9

Rat TE:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IAQ55ZG/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4

Are they available elsewhere that isn't associated with Amazon?

Remember there are a lot of cheap mice too like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Zelotes-T60-...7_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TX6VX213TXX874YB26WN

https://www.amazon.com/XSOUL-Custom...7_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TX6VX213TXX874YB26WN

https://www.amazon.com/XSOUL-Precis...7_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TB1QR1779NGFBD6M265P

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMYD5JI?psc=1

Or any of these. Remember Australian dollars and free postage within Australia. I'm pointing all these out in regards to design and price:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5500...206831?hash=item568194e72f:g:yWMAAOSwuYVWp0-G

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4000-DPI...hash=item2cb24d02bc:m:mpakc16OdqVv1vukmIQ69Fw

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-Key-US...hash=item3f6524ce4e:m:mRU3qyUQnoDEAAV9k8E8t8Q

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3200DPI-...hash=item5d68437c3b:m:m0WYZ1uODqCarrBqD3oJsww

Some of those are on the larger side as well. I actually bought a similar to these as an additional mouse. It actually works much better than I thought it would, complete with a nice braided cable. The reason I point these out is that it seems maybe those mice are like that, seeing as they appear to be internet only? Also there is no reference to the sensors they use or any in depth information on any other aspect of the mouse, something that more known brands do. This could simply be bad marketing, but I can't help to think of the designs as being similar to those cheaper mice as well.

So, are the mice on Amazon good value, or are they just rebranded more expensive versions of cheaper mice? Ironically some of the feedback for the cheaper mice are as good or better than the Rat 5. You have to remember though that feedback is often based on expectations of the product's brand and price. This can go both ways, people can say something is excellent because of the brand alone, and that is it superior to something else even if that something else is actually better.

The other issue is that some of them look flimsy as a result of their design, but they may not be. I would be more worried about dust and other gunk that could get caught in all the ones with the 'open' mechanisms.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
  10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You did a ninja edit on me =P

The first ones you listed don't have the capability of extending. That's the main reason why I was looking at the rat 5.

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I have the Roccat Kone XTD and I think it's a fantastic mouse, really comfortable, excellent tracking and precision, perhaps take a look at that?

12. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Some of the heavier/bigger Logitech mice could work.

But I wouldn't get one of those RAT mice...

Brands like that just make me cringe. Ask yourself: Do you want a mouse or a transformer?

A mouse has to sit in your hand comfortably for several hours and at the end of the day it's mostly the more simple shapes that do this better.

I also seem to advocate Logitech heavily, but that's simply because lately they stepped up their game and none of the other brands can't touch them (performance wise).

Not to mention RAT seems to still be using dated sensors such as the 3090 and 9500/9800. And these sensors definitely had their flaws.

Also, there are reasons why actual pro's never use such mice. Even from Razer the only 2 really good mice they ever made were the Deathadder and Abyssus and it also reflects into the community. The Abyssus was used by a lot of Quakers and the DA by some CS players.

But even now I wouldn't consider any Razer mice due to how their software actually gimps their mice. The fact that their software literally does this makes me want to personally boycott them.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I agree with you that logitech quality is definitely very good. I have a M510 that I use with my laptop and it's very very nice. I'm just looking for bigger for my desktop.

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking of buying a few from amazon and just returning the ones that aren't the best. Bestbuy is the only place near me that has mice, and they didn't have much selection to feel.

Edit: Maybe I'll grab the the "Performance Mouse MX" and the G403 and return the worse of the two.

Edit edit: -.- the 403 isn't even out yet. I bet that's going to force me into paying a higher price. *sigh*

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    +1 for Roccat. I have used Logitech for as long as I can remember but I decided to try something else and picked up a Roccat Tyon about a year ago. Amazing mouse.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Release is imminent though. Some people have already succeeded at getting them.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above Rival is great mouse,have tried as I've too larger hands,but G502 is for me best,have too M65 from Corsair which I wouldn't recommend there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can vouch for my G302. Light, amazing feeling for the keys, small. I like it a lot. I came from a Mamba, and it feels better for everything. I'm not getting anything from Razer ever again.

18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    It looks like it has a nice shape (similar to the deathadder which I'm used to) but that price hurts me a little bit, lol. More expensive than the 502 but doesn't really look like it should be.

I did check that out since it looked big. Thanks for helping me rule it out.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was advised to buy the Logitech G502 by fellow gurus here and I am very confident with the purchase. Sure it's not a bargain, but I hope it will last for some time in return. Would buy it again.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Well its new but also, there's 2 variants: Wired and Wireless. The wireless one is obviously more expensive. Though people forget the G502 was also in the same ballpark price wise.