HP Laptop with Switchable graphics -- Driver help.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Coxis, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    Hey guys.

I have been searching and searching and haven't been able to find a definitive answer regarding updating the drivers on HP laptops with switchable computers. So I come to you, the gurus, for help.

I have an HP DV6-6C75la laptop computer. Here's the page with full specifications:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03146727

It's an AMD+AMD configuration.

2.5 GHz/1.6 GHz VISION A8 Technology from AMD with AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M Accelerated Processor

AMD Radeon HD 6620G + 7690M Dual Graphics with 1024MB GDDR5

My problem is the usual one, the drivers from HP haven't been updated since 2011 whereas AMD continually releases update (I have a desktop with a 6950). Important note: I've gone into the BIOS and there's no option to use the discrete GPU only.

So, lay it on me. Am I screwed, or is it possible to update the drivers on these machines?

2. Dynastar

Dynastar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
  4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    If it's AMD+AMD you should be able to install normal drivers from AMD...

5. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    First of all thanks for helping out so quickly!

@Dynastar: I'm running Windows 7 x64, sorry for not mentioning it in the OP. As for the BIOS, last night during my research I learned that HP was updating the BIOS of some laptops so you could choose to use the discrete video chip only. I installed the newest version of my BIOS yesterday for this reason (F1C), but apparently they haven't implemented this for my laptop yet, as this option is nowhere to be found, plus it isn't mentioned in the BIOS release notes. :(

@dellon and Benik: I've read over and over about people installing AMD drivers instead of the manufacturer drivers and they lose the switchable graphics option and since my BIOS doesn't have the option to use only the discrete card, won't that happen to me as well?

Also, this is completely new to me, but it appears the AMD drivers from HP's website control the entire chipset. Without these drivers I lose use of my USB 3.0 ports as well as other stuff (I forgot). If I were to install stock AMD drivers, what would be the installing process? Install over my existing drivers or would it be okay to uninstall the HP AMD driver first?

6. dellon132

dellon132 Guest

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Well, your HP chipset driver is mostly likely made by AMD and I think AMD has begun to supply chipset drivers alongside their Display driver in the most recent AMD builds so you should not have an issue when installing your chip-set driver. Also, people that lose the Switchable Graphics Option are users with Graphics Cards that were excluded from a release or is no longer supported by AMD. However this is not the case with your Switchable Graphics Setup as both Graphic Cards are Supported in AMD recent builds.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

This. I also have AMD Dual Graphics (7660G + 7670M) and was able to just install AMD driver's without issue.

I tell games which GPU to use via Catalyst, and it seems to work fine. If I'm plugged in, games and apps use the dedicated GPU.

8. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    Very well then, I'll install the latest AMD drivers from their page and report back.

9. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    I was able to install the drivers from AMD successfully, although the chipset drivers weren't included, but it was easy enough to find the separate download for them. So far it all appears to be working fine, although the switchable graphics UI appears to have changed a bit. I'll just play around with Catalyst for a few minutes and see the changes. Thanks all for your help!

By the way, I'll keep checking this thread in case you have more questions for your drivers, Dyna.

10. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus E. RTX2080Ti
    The loosing of switching is for Intel+AMD, because AMD doesn't support it officially (only with HD7000 series - enduro) :)

11. Dynastar

Dynastar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    Ok bro,if i can find better i will post here asap
    all of drivers posted up more should working fine for you anyway,huh ?
    But sometimes i find other more rare interesting drivers and make a mix between them.
    Btw,you have to know that you may loose certain little stuffs with all newer drivers than olders 'cause AMD have changed few little things about their own drivers...
    How do you use your video chip ?
    Hard Gaming only ?
    Adobe programs ?
    Video encoding/recoding ?
    Watching Video ?
    most of typical uses like surfing on the net and most of them ?
    kind regards

12. Coxis

Coxis Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7950
    Dyna,

Yes, the drivers I downloaded from AMD are working fine for me. I have a dedicated gaming desktop (AMD 6950, Intel i7 860 with triple screens @ 5760x1080) as my main gaming machine, but this machine is my back up, so, in other less-flattering words, I use it whenever I want to game in my bed, with a proper wooden base I made plus a coolermaster cooling base.. :lol:

So, I use it for light gaming and for web browsing / watching movies in my theater room. The games I play on this machine are only DOTA 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Starcraft 2.

13. Dynastar

Dynastar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC
    Wow I see...fascinating for sure (lol)

Btw,in case you might be interested to try and test Win8.1 Preview aka Windows Blue,here are some possible interesting stuff for you :
    http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4636

best regards