MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 1, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We review the MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK edition a factory overclocked Radeon HD 7870 solution with room for even higher tweaks. The graphics card PCB will be utilizing an improved VRM that can take advantage...

More...

2. Rudlow

Rudlow Member

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Hands down- best non-reference 7870 card out there. Is it worth extra 20-30$ over other 7870 cards? Definitely! MSI did an outstanding job there, I just wish it was NVidia 660/660Ti... BTW does anyone have any info if MSI is planning to do lightning/hawk edition for GTX 680?

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I'm sure MSi will put out a 680 Lightning/Xtreme Edition

4. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Agreed, based on currently available models, this one takes the cake and eats it too. :banana:

6. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I have just one simple question. You have measured 303 Watts(?) of total power consuption of the whole system. So why do I need to use 550 Watt PSU ? Why not 350 or 400 Watt ? If I don't want to do any overclocking ?

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Gotta consider CPU (100W) RAM (10W), HDDs (20W), DVD Drive (5) and fans, etc. etc. It soon adds up. I know for a fact my CPU will guzzle 200W with ease.

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Yeah, but if you aren't going to push your components like you do there's no point in going all out on a PSU. In fact vast overprovisioning reduces efficiency.

I'm pulling about 160-180W from the socket while gaming, while extreme stress tests have been able to get to a bit past 300W.

If you're not a heavy overclocker/overvolter you really don't need such immense PSUs.

9. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Yeah, but that 303 Watts is according to review power consumption of the WHOLE system. That means it includes CPU, RAM, fans, etc...

10. EzioAs

EzioAs Guest

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GB
    Not all 500W psu can deliver full wattage so recommending 500W and above leaves a bit of headroom. Capacitor degradation over time is also another reason why you want to have more headroom for the psu since they can never deliver full wattage after a few years of usage