Self Driving Cars...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Aug 8, 2017.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

will there be an app one day that we use that tells are car to pick us up at the front door? or down the block? maybe even go get groceries while we sit at home?...your thoughts?

2. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    A self-driving car is a good idea for people who can't drive BUT it's not really ready for traffic right now.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I think the most I'd ever be okay with is the super cruise thing that the caddilac CT6 is going to have. You still have to be watching the road and it only does highway driving.

I enjoy back roads and manual transmission too much to let the computer do it for me though.

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    For self-driving cars to work, they will need their own designated roads - within the vicinity of other self-driving cars. At least that will be the case for a good while.

Self-driving cars on the same roads as regular ones is a big no no. The human factor is still needed and I don't think our technology is advanced enough for that yet.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    That would take all the fun out of driving.

vonSternberg likes this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think self-driving cars are long overdue. It would solve so many of the problems that we currently have with cars, such as traffic jams and parking spaces. I would love to relax on the way to work and have my car pick me up after work, and best of all, it would eliminate designated drivers :cheers:

Although I'm generally a safe driver (not a single speeding ticket in five years), I know that I can often times make mistakes, as well as other drivers on the road (I've had some close calls and can recall plenty of dumb decisions). We're only human, and even the most careful driver will make mistakes. We've largely automated aircraft and flying is safer than it's ever been. There's no reason why automating automobiles wouldn't do the same.

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So, like trains?

8. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    ROFL fondly enough, that was exactly idea when I discussed it with peers. And that's also why I mentioned it.

It will pretty much be cars on 'designated pathways' or 'tracks'.

I can see it being beneficial in some places too, while being totally useless in other places - meaning it won't have much purpose except to maybe a 'lazy driver' or someone who doesn't know how to drive.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    self driving cards should be the punishment for people who can't drive. aka women and drunks.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd rather be surrounded by self-driving cars than angry retards trying to cut corners and showing off their driving skills.

Overall humans suck as drivers. They let depression, anger or lack of sleep interfere with driving.
    Most accidents I saw caused by lack of emotional control.

So yeah, I am all for self-driving cars. Especially if emotionally unstable people switch to self-driving mode and chill the **** out.

sykozis likes this.

11. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Self-driving cars cannot read signs with stickers on them. Now that is scary.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I wish drivers paid attention to pedestrian cross sign, instead most of them just pass through at 60km/h.

What sign is so important to miss? No park sign? Careful for elementary students crossing sign?
    As far as concerned most drivers ignore it, hell I wonder how many even recognize them.

Recognizing signs is a matter of time for self-driving cars. Can't say that for human drivers.

13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    The legal issues alone will make it a decade+ out.
    Who is responsible if a self-driving car gets in an accident? Manufacturer or owner?
    What if some maintenance was not done exactly per the manual or a warning light was ignored?
    If a self-driving car can either run into a gaggle of school children, with a 95% chance of fatality for the kids and 2% for the driver, or run into a tree giving the driver a 75% chance of dying, but give the gaggle of kids 0% chance of dying, who does it kill?
    And if you answer, "the driver of course," do you buy the car that kills the driver? If it is legislatively mandated, how do we prevent people from modifying their cars to value them over other life? Etc, etc, etc.

The technology is actually the easy part. The hard part is who wants to take on the liability?

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not enjoy driving, so only way I ever intend to own a car is... self driving and not requiring driver's license.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    These cars remind me a lot of the APT(Advanced passenger train), good idea on paper, but they forgot the fact that literally, the ground work that this thing was going to be running on was not up to the task, hell a lot of the UK's local railways lines were still plated track at that point, so yeah, the roads we have today i don't think are up to the task of having self drive cars, there are simply to many variables against them, with i think the biggest variable being human drivers, who are such a unknown quantity on the roads with each other, never mind a computer controlled car.

17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    A car which compliments a driver's abilities to make them safer on the road I can agree with, but a fully automated car? That's called a taxi and it already exists. Just because we can doesn't necessarily mean we should.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure that Tesla said level 4/5 driving will put them in liability for any accidents when the system is engaged. The cost of insurance will be built into the cars price.

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I think there a good idea but it needs to but done well.

1. I would like motorways to be for self driving vehicles
    2. towns centres and residential areas should also be self driving

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Personally i don´t like the idea of self driving cars the same way i don´t like the idea of machines doing things reserved for us currently but i´m not naive and i know sooner or later autonomous driving is going to be the future. At first it´s going to coexist with human drivers until we are forbidden of driving a car because of the accidents we cause... On a later stage personal vehicles are going to disappear completely and are going to be replaced by an autonomous public transportation system.

So enjoy your cars while you can...