SD / CF to IDE adapters, horrible experience, MB incompatiblity or crappy HW?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ruthan, Aug 6, 2017.

1. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Hello,
    i just wanted to tested CF or SD adapter to IDE with my retro gaming machine, with Asrock Conroe865PE board and Core E6600 and 4 GB Ram.

Im using some 30 MB/s 8GB SD card nothing fancy, but its fine.

I didnt expected problems, so i just bough adapters from ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical-S...432932?hash=item1a22872924:g:7IoAAOSwImRYYHxC

and
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Fla...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    +
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Experience with both is almost same, there are really slow, but i the strange way, regarding of Atto benchmark transfer speed is fine - 30 MB/s but there long pauses - mouse cursor is working, but Atto test which is just for few minutes, took much more.

I have installed XP, it took 4-5 hours, i dont have other IDE board to test it, i wonder if is problem with MB incompatibility or with adapters?

Did you met such crappy adapters which could do this, or its Asrock bios? I already had some issues with their IDE and Sata implementation, that is why i have even started to consider these adapters..

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I never use IDE to SD adapters. Just wondering why you would not buy a PCI USB 2.0 or 3.0 card and instead use a USB to SD card adapter? That is way faster, limited by your bus speed and probably more compatible since you can use your USB to SD adapter in a more modern machine as well.

Unless you are one of those old school Amiga or Atari ST users using IDE to CF adapters.

3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Im not sure if old OS, could run properly from USB.. Did someone try to install full WIndows 98 or XP installation on USB?

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    seriously ;-/

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I believe Windows XP SP2+ has USB 2.0 drivers built in. So you should slipstream a Windows XP build with up to SP3 and then install that. It should have installed the MS USB drivers. Might be slow but should work enough for you to install newer drivers.

Did you ever think of running Dosbox under Windows 7 instead? Many XP era games now have some direct 7, 8 or glide driver patches to work now. Unless you have some weird game you must run via old HW such as real SoundBlaster or Aureal 3D, then I think software hacks under Windows 7 or Windows 10 may be better (easier).

What are the games you are trying to run anyway? I didn't think anyone wanted to go back and setup IRQs and such to play old school games anymore. :D

6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    You should have bigger imagination.. its about retro gaming, even Windows 7 would be once retro gaming, dont care about my motivation, care about answers..
    I dont like uniformity, difference and possibility of choice make world great.

I played in Windows95 and 98 era and i know what i want and i know that there is not other way, expect KVM and Unraid and yes i already have such machine and its has lots of issues too.

There Gog, but if you understand what you want, their versions are often lousy - Dungeon Keeper on Direct3D support patch implementated, Ignition no windows version with 3Dfx support.
    And i dont speak about games like Asghan, Dark Earth bla, bla..

And even if i could work in Windows 7+ it usually took quite time to discover how, on Windows 98 its running out of box..

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    You're essentially saying that you don't care about results, and you already know your methods(that don't work as you expect) are the only way to accomplish your secret goals. Why didn't you just get a PATA SSD? My experience with such adapters is that you should be happy that they work at all, and you should not expect modern media to operate at full speed. You should seek assistance in your native language, because in English you sound a bit rude.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    PATA SSD are off topic, i know that it is solution too, but im looking for best possible card reader alternative..

9. superpoeper

superpoeper Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX1070 O8G
    just my idea but looking at pics of the motherboard doesnt it have 2 sata connectors...?
    i would connect any small sata HDD or cheap SSD to that and for powering it there are molex to sata power connector cables if needed...
    thats how i would try to make a retro gaming windows 98 PC with that hardware...

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The only PCs that I have ever seen run successfully with CF cards w/ CF to IDE adapters or CF or SD to IDE adapters are the old Vintage DOS 6.22/Win3.1x/Win9x/ME/2000 based PCs but never heard of them in more modern based PCs like you have posted OP.