Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 8.1 giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Windows 10 ?

Old
  (#26)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080TI
Processor: Intel I7 6770K
Mainboard: ASUS STRIX
Memory: 16GB DD4 2133 MHz
Soundcard: EDIFIER LUNA ECLIPSE Red
PSU: 1000
Default 08-12-2017, 19:32 | posts: 20,718 | Location: Turkey

Thank you guys. managed to FORCE delete some big files in my C:/ . then tried reset this pc and worked. a clean install.

Thankfully my games all are in different HDDs. STEAM and ORIGIN games are instant THERE to play.

Old
  (#27)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 08-13-2017, 05:55 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Ok, I'm glad we solved someone's issue, but mine still persists lol. Any further advice considering my last posts update? I'm completely at a loss at this stage, especially after having tried a different hard drive with another Windows installation altogether. I really don't want to have to take this thing into some shop

Old
  (#28)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 08-13-2017, 08:34 | posts: 17,746 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
Ok, I'm glad we solved someone's issue, but mine still persists lol. Any further advice considering my last posts update? I'm completely at a loss at this stage, especially after having tried a different hard drive with another Windows installation altogether. I really don't want to have to take this thing into some shop
You said that HDD already had 7 installed on it, was it originally installed on that machine with the same mobo etc?

What happens if you try to install 10 from USB onto that HDD?

Tried a different SATA port?

Reset BIOS?

Old
  (#29)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-14-2017, 05:52 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
You said that HDD already had 7 installed on it, was it originally installed on that machine with the same mobo etc?

What happens if you try to install 10 from USB onto that HDD?

Tried a different SATA port?

Reset BIOS?
Im not sure if that mobo was on this system or another. I believe it was the same. When i try to install 10 from the boot drive on this HDD, it just shows the blue Win logo with a flashing cursor on the top left and soon goes to a black screen. Ive tried swapping SATA ports to no avail. For both drives. I feel im virtually out of options with what i can do here at home...

Old
  (#30)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX980 SLI
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: Creative SB1040 7.1
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 08-14-2017, 09:02 | posts: 17,746 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
Im not sure if that mobo was on this system or another. I believe it was the same. When i try to install 10 from the boot drive on this HDD, it just shows the blue Win logo with a flashing cursor on the top left and soon goes to a black screen. Ive tried swapping SATA ports to no avail. For both drives. I feel im virtually out of options with what i can do here at home...
Did you try the secure boot thing?

Either disable it in the BIOS / enable CSM, or create a UEFI/FAT32 USB stick to install from

You don't have any other displays connected?

Disconnected everything else, other drives, non boot essential hardware?

How long have you left it on the black screen? I've had machines that took a stupid length of time to boot from the install media and could never work out why

Old
  (#31)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Unhappy 08-14-2017, 16:33 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Secure boot does not appear to be an option in my Asus bios. It's nowhere to be found. I misspoke on the startup stick. After the black screen, I get options to recover from a drive, but none of them work. I tried to wipe the drive and reinstall Windows, no go. I tried to keep files and fix the current installation and it's a no-go. They both say, "there was a problem recovering your PC". No sh!t Windows recovery, thanks for the help!

Can't roll back to a previous version, can't use startup repair, can't system restore, can't use system image recovery. I'm thinking it may be a mobo or memory issue at this point. I can't come to any other conclusion

Last edited by DSparil; 08-15-2017 at 02:19.

Old
  (#32)
DSparil
Ancient Guru

Default 08-16-2017, 16:31 | posts: 3,174 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Well, the diagnosis is in. I exhausted my troubleshooting options at home and took it into a reputable local shop for them to check it out. Somehow both drives were corrupted, but he was able to salvage and clean up the SSD. Sadly my other HDD, the gaming drive, is toast. The HDD is so whacked that it can't even make it through a scandisk without freezing. I have a lot of the stuff on it backed up, but I've lost a LOT of video game saves and data that can't be replaced. Oh well, computers will be computers.

Thanks for the help and advice in here none the less. Now the search is on for a nice big HDD to replace this one