Opinion on usage of old PSU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xIcarus, Aug 8, 2017.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Story time:
    So I managed to be an utter jackass and spill some beer right into my PC case.
    While the quantity was limited to just a few drops, they did some good amount of damage; the GPU is incapacitated (it says it needs PCI-E power even though it's already connected) and 2 RAM slots seem to not like RAM anymore in the sense that the PC won't POST with either of them occupied, limiting me to a mere 8GB of RAM.

Now, the PC still works. And this is why I'm considering running it as a NAS and/or web server from now on. A new heavy load PC is already on the way.

Query time (the actual important part):
    Now.. From what I've discovered very recently, this PSU isn't exactly the most stellar/safe thing ever (it's an OCZ Fatal1ty): https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
    It's almost at the butt end of the chart, at tier 6. This is really yikes considering I've ran this PC for at least 2-3 years without really turning it off.

Now considering that fact + the fact that it's been in pretty heavy use for the past 6 years (at least 8 hours a day of gaming or 3D rendering with a heavily overclocked CPU), do you think this PSU is still safe to use? Because I'm getting the feeling that it's a time bomb.

Looking forward to your opinions.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I would not trust anything that's able to push 20+ amps of electricity and is named "Fatal1ty"...

:p

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Lols!

I'd replace the PSU too, it is nearing the end of its lifecycle for sure. Risk of damage to other components grows by time.

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Lmao good point, I will certainly take your advice into consideration haha.

Not that there's much left to damage lul.
    It didn't show any signs of aging though, which surprised me. Still held to my torture tests consisting of full load CPU (@4.9Ghz for that matter) + GPU.
    By my calculations that scenario should be pretty close to its limit. If my estimations are correct, the CPU alone should eat around 200W at that frequency.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well I suppose you could use it with your NAS/server system as long as it lasts. Sometimes you get lucky with PSUs and they outlive and outperform their nominal ratings.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah but at the same time I'm not sure it's wise using low-rated PSU for a 24/7 machine. For all I know this thing could start a fire.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That PSU is a budget one made by Sirtec.

Not exactly known for high quality.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Do you have any info about what kind of protections it has? I haven't really managed to find a lot of info on it unfortunately..
    I'm basically trying to figure out exactly how much of a fire hazard it is.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If you have to ask that you better just throw it away :)

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it's going to be a NAS, it won't see much burden relatively speaking. You are also going to return the CPU to the original speed, I imagine. This will make it much easier for the PSU, which should make it safer, should you continue to use it.

I actually used to have OCZ Fatal1ty 750W (or maybe 650W). Some reviewer rated the capacitors and other components passable. I only got a new one when its fan started to emit an annoying noise and I found out the fan size used was weird, making it hard to replace. I'd have needed to get a new fan directly from China or something.

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I was actually planning to underclock it, that way it spews as little heat in the room as possible (plus sip as little power as possible). That plus the fact that it's lost a custom 970's worth of power load, it should be easy for it.

But then again, I might need it as a render slave from time to time - and that means full on 4.9GHz 100% load.
    All right, I've decided to swap it. I'll just keep it as a backup just in case. Thanks for the insight.

Yeah perhaps you're right. Thanks for the insight, appreciate it.
    I've decided to swap it since I'll probably use the system as a render slave from time to time.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ that's probably smart.

Also I see from your specs you got a nice Ryzen build now. Out of curiosity how much difference in rendering performance do you see vs. your old/backup build?