Dual monitors and FPS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by mdunlavey, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mdunlavey

mdunlavey Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have had an issue recently with my dual monitor setup I hope someone can shed some light on.

I have a Asus ROG Swift PG278Q and an LG 34UM95C-P ultra wide. I game on the Asus and have it set to 165Hz. When P I play COD or Player Unknown Battleground with nothing on the LG I get good FPS But, if I open any program like team speak my FPS drop from 100-120 to 20-30. I can simply minimize team speak and the FPS returns to normal.

I also have a second evga 1070 GTX that I'm not using ATM as I thought the FPS drop started occurring after I started SLI.

I have just performed a clean install of windows but still having the same issues.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

My System:
    Evga Classified K Z170 MOBO
    I5 6600K
    32Gb memory Corsair
    Evga 1070GTX
    Evga Supernova 1000 watts PSU.
    Samsung SSD
    Windows 10, 64

2. snowfun87

snowfun87 Guest

GPU:
    8g
    me too

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Are you sure you have the PG278Q ? That's a 144Hz monitor.

4. mdunlavey

mdunlavey Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes it has an overclock feature.

5. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    This happens to me too, FPS tanks in some games and stutters like crazy. It's odd issue. It does not matter what i have on the second monitor, it stutters. Started after some update (not creators) update for Windows 10 i belive. I did not have this issue on Win 10 AU, but after upgrading to CU and installing all updates it started. Downgraded to AU again and installed all patches but deffered CU update and still had the problem :/

6. mdunlavey

mdunlavey Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Mine has stopped and I can tell you it coincided with me reinstalling the corsair drivers for my keyboard and mouse. After that I can put whatever on my second monitor and the FPS stays relatively stable. Black ops it is fine but Player Unknown I get drops here and there but that game being prerelease I guess that can be expected.

7. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    What are you power options set to? Your card might be dropping the frequencies if it detects something small open in the background.

8. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    i heard of this issue too, what you could try is to activate your iGPU and use one screen on that and the other (gaming) monitor on your GPU. It's a creators update true, but so far i only had some G-Sync stuttering with it and fixed it just by using "high performance" power plan.

9. mdunlavey

mdunlavey Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I think you maybe right. I do remember changing the power settings to high performance as well. I will test this tonight.

10. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Mine is already set to High Performance, but no difference. Also tried iGPU and the computer still stutters when having apps and stuff on the second montior. This was something that was introduced with one windows update, but i've yet managed to pin down which update that is.