Questions about Kraken G10 & the 980Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bentez, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    I've been reading some very positive reviews about the Kraken G10 combined with a corsair H55. My question is does anyone know whether a EVGA 980 Ti SC ACX (which is a ref PCB design if I'm not mistaken?) would be compatible?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-G10-GPU-Adapter-Kraken/dp/B00ITTFO8M

I was also looking at applying some VRM heatsinks however I'm not 100% on their location on the board, anyone able to link a diagram?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmos-Aluminum-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00K83LNAA

I was hoping to fit the rad in the exhaust position in my Corsair 650D case, can the water tubes be moved into a position that would allow this does anyone know?

2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Good question. Did you find any more info on this?

Im also investigating the possibility of an AIO hybrid cooler for my 980ti ACX 2.0
    These ACX 2.0's are pretty poor coolers.

eVGA sell a hybrid cooler, but its never in stock and sells out within minutes when it comes in.

Corsair are releasing a bracket in August the N980 that will allow their hydro coolers to be mounted.

Arctic do the Accelero Hybrid II, but it has mixed reviews.

Not sure what to do really

3. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Ive seen people with it fitted on the 980ti, My g10 and h55 should arrive tomorrow so ill let you guys know how it goes.

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Cool thank you.

Ive just pre ordered the eVGA hybrid, but no eta on it being in stock so if your method works i will go with that !!

Sorry to hijack the thread abit but as im coming from the ACX 2.0+ cooler im not sure what will fit if I want to keep the existing VRAM and VRM plate which is already installed as its actually quite good.
    Heres some pics of it here (not mine from OCN)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ideally id like to keep that plate and just stick a silent fan on it to cool the VRMs

5. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    YOu can get a copper shim that goes in between that allows that mid plate to be left on.

6. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Just an update.

I have cancelled my pre-order for the eVGA Hybrid cooler (£90 ouch)

Ordered a NZXT G10 (£16) and a Refurbished Corsair H75 (£45) from Scan.co.uk.
    Whilst I was there I ordered a Refurbished Corsair H90 (£45) so only just spent a tad more and getting water cooled CPU aswell !!

I also ordered a 25mmx25mmx1.6mm Copper Shim. (hope this isnt too thick to provide good thermal transfer ??)

My first plan will be to keep both my Backplate and that Heatplate (in above picture post 4) in place and use the G10's fan to cool that.
    As I have a backplate on the card, I cant use the backside mounting bracket/plate of the G10, but saw this video for a bit of a ghetto install

NZXT Kraken G10 Install without Removing Heatsink
    which seems to show EXACTLY what i want to do.

All arrives monday so will see how it goes then !!!

7. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Got mine fitted on a zotac 980ti amp extreme, Still got the vrm plate and backplate on, Highest temp on heaven bench is 51c.
    Lords of the fallen highest was 44c,

Now to re arrange the case properly lol

8. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Nice temps, that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

How did you go about mounting it whilst keeping the backplate on ?
    In the instructions for the G10 it shows a bracket that goes on the rear of the card behind the gpu.....so a back plate would get in the way ?? ( hence that diy video i posted above)

Oh what sized shim did you use ?

Cool results (literally !!) Look forward to the same i hope :)

9. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    I took the foam square off the mount and it fits flush on the back perfectly. Also a shim wasn't needed for me, The zotac has a pretty big gap around the die and a separate vrm heatsink.

10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    All sorted on this aswell now.

G10 Kraken fitted fine over the backplate by taking off the foam pad from its mounting plate.
    Used a 25x25x1.6 shim so could therefor keep the evga midplate/heatplate.
    Added a few extra heatsinks onto it where the VRMs are. The Krakens fan sits right over this area aswell.

Put a Corsair H75 with dual fans on this.

Load temps looping Heavenbench now top out 50-52'c and remains silent as fans dont need to go above 1200rpm for this.
    This is vs the ACX cooler that would hit 75'c + and throttle back one notch.

Can believe ive never done this before !!!

11. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Glad to hear it worked well, Im really surprised these thing aren't more popular.

12. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I'm also using G10 on my Zotac 980Ti Amp SLI..Using Antec 920 with One and Kraken x31 with one..Temp is on average is on 40's and 50's on heavy games like Dying Light..Pretty satisfied!!! :D

[​IMG]

13. beasty54

beasty54 Member

GPU:
    980TI Amp Extreme SLI
    I'm running zotac 980ti amp extremes in sli and due to the huge cooler, there simply isn't enough room between the cards. It's Good to hear the kraken g10 fits nicely, was it easy to install as I'm thinking of getting 2. Which AIO coolers would you recommend?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Im very new to AIO coolers, but Scan.co.uk have got refurbished Corsair stuff pretty cheap.

The H90 and H75 I bought were on "today only" specials yesterday for £41 each.
    Fully boxed and years warranty.

Work well for me :)

15. beasty54

beasty54 Member

GPU:
    980TI Amp Extreme SLI
    Is that the amp extremes or just the amps?

16. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Just the Amp. Not Amp extreme..

17. beasty54

beasty54 Member

GPU:
    980TI Amp Extreme SLI
    OK thanks, well party poison says his are amp extremes so fingers crossed they'll fit nicely on mine and I'll have no more problems with high temps.

18. Party Poison

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Ignore that, Was my mistake I thought that all zotacs were Amp extremes. I have the normal amp.

But i have seen someone who has it on the Extreme, Ill find the link for you.

Also to anyone running push pull, Ive got a h55 on my card with a Gentle typhoon on it.

Anyone noticed any difference using push pull compared to a single fan?

19. beasty54

beasty54 Member

GPU:
    980TI Amp Extreme SLI
    I hope so as I've ordered 2 of the G10s and 2 of the Corsair H55 AIO coolers. :eek3:

20. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Im not using H55 but using Push Pull on my Antec 920 and Kraken X31 drops 5-8 degrees compared to just using a single fan..