Gigabyte 980ti or MSI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by gaudio, Jul 2, 2015.

1. gaudio

gaudio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming
    Hi guys,

Hilbert reviewed both cards and both were very good in his opinion. I want to buy or the Gigabyte 980ti G1 or the MSI 980ti 6G..

Which one you advise? It's quite a lot of money, so I don't want to make te 'wrong' decision ;-)

Thanks!

2. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    "Many" report of coil whine on G1s including me. I previously had MSI 280x Gaming excellent card.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    This is my first MSI gaming I normally get EVGA and I am really impressed it is a very solid card very well made awesome cooling and awesome performance I had EVGA 970 SCC ACX which was louder than the MSI 980ti Gaming I can 100% recommend MSI

4. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    The gigabyte is faster and runs cooler and only 2 db louder, so my choice is made quick.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    msi cards are really silent in my experience, but if you care more about performance it seems the gigabyte will do better OC and temps but just barely noticeable imo

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I will just post thi in here again. It was in another thread.

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    this is obsessing over it, don't you think? that's just one spot on the G1 that's higher, overall both cards have areas that are hotter and that are cooler. all temps for both cards are really good. before Guru3D had a thermal camera we didn't even know how hot each little nook and cranny on GPU got and somehow our GPUs didn't die left and right. in another thread i saw a person returning his MSI in exchanged for G1 based on this one thermal image, that's just crazy IMO.

8. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Out of the two i'd go with the MSI one.

9. gaudio

gaudio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming
    hmmm.... very 50/50 opinions here.. But thanks a lot, I think I will go for the G1, my previous card was a MSI 980 4G Gaming, was great, but I think I want to try Gigabyte. In some benchmarks it's just a tat faster.

10. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I am pleased you have decided it is a nightmare choosing enjoy

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's not obsessive if your shelling out close to $700 for a graphics card. The picture clearly shows the VRMs of the G1 are not dissipating the heat built up as well as the MSI. That is a potential failure point or could be a limiting factor in prolonged stability.

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    No its not obsessing over it, if the other has an advantage or better temps then its fully justified.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    there is no clean winner. if you look at overall temps they are higher on MSI card.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I believe if there was a problem with the temps HH would have highlighted it but he said they were both very good.
    My experience with the MSi card is that its awesome I have never had a GPU that with fans at 100% produces so little noise (ACX2 GTX 970 SCC impossible to use fans 100% very loud) I can use this GPU at 70/80% fans every day so its temps are awesome.

MSI 980ti GAMING

Score 17081

Graphics Score 21247 Physics Score 13146 Combined Score 8451
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5288325

with this overclock 64c +170 core +400mem max voltage fans 80%

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes but that was not overclocked. I would not want to have my VRM's that close to their theoretical threshold.

All I'm doing is pointing out that the MSI card appears to have better VRM cooling.

16. gaudio

gaudio Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming
    Bought the G1 yesterday, and yes it is a great card. VERY good results, keeps it very cool! Maybe a little bit more noise than a MSI (I owned a MSI 980 4G gaming before) but since I use my PC in my living room as a sort of a gaming-console (...) so i's far away it doesn't matter at all. And besides, it certainly isn't THAT loud. Very happy with it.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If their coolers are anything like their 980 and 970 counterparts, I'd highly recommend the MSI one over the Gigabyte. The MSI HSF is relatively silent even at high fan speeds compared to even a moderate setting of the Gigabyte G1's Windforce HSF meanwhile their cooling (at least on a 970) was roughly the same at 100%. At 100% with the G1 you absolutely need headphones, while the MSI one was not that loud.

Also I never had buzzing/whine at low frame rates (as in not in the hundreds) with the MSI one, with the Gigabyte G1 model I get what sounds like coil whine even at low frame rates in certain games. I've had 3 G1 models and it was the same with all of them. But remember, at hundreds of frames pretty much any card has whine.

I forgot to mention, with the 970 G1s Gigabyte pulled a fast one and switched the RAM on them to lower binned Hynix RAM. The models in reviews used Samsung RAM and got much higher overclocks. When I contacted Gigabyte to ask them why they would do such a scumbag move on a premium model which they're charging that much more for, their answer was because it meets the required specs. In other words they switched to cheaper binned RAM because they can get away with it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I prefer gigabyte to msi.