AMD Explains Why Mantle Is Exclusive To PC & Not Present On Xbox One

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    its not just a exclusive api for PC, but a exclusive api for just AMD cards (7xxx and up) isnt it ?

3. xafier

xafier Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 290
    You would hope that they have made Mantle as close as possible to coding bare-metal on the PS4 and XBox One. Otherwise I just can't see it being adopted, especially when they will still need to write a DirectX / OpenGL version as well for Nvidia / Intel graphics.

4. StealBalls

StealBalls Guest

GPU:
    MSI 280x CrossFire
    Starting to smell of exclusives, to encourage people to buy an AMD card.

5. PCElite

PCElite Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080

If they are smart, thats there plan.

6. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Stop delaying Hilbert and post those R9-290X reviews! :D

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not this week ...

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    boooo

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Taking in account the Low level API on the xbox one and PS4 are made for GCN architecture and have have access to close metal programming, and like Mantle is too an API who allow close to metal programming, the port or the use is clearly similar.

Even if is not a straight "Mantle API ":

- XboxOne and Ps4 use an API who access low level close to metal programming on AMD GCN architecture.

- Mantle is an API for PC who allow the same access to low level close to metal programming on AMD GCN architectures.

Even if the "software ( API ) part " is different.. they are surely close enough as they do more or less the same thing. Anyway we will know more on november.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    that's what I'm thinking, both consoles run gcn hardware and a low level api, there will be similarities.

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Oh well... It worth a shot anyway... Thanks Hilb. :thumbup:

12. Wendig0

Wendig0 Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X
    Not the best of news but we'll see how things turn out.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    What the hell AMD. We need to se the 290x benchmarks. I want to upgrade to this cards before BF4 comes out and If I don't order this week I might not even get it at the launch of BF4. BTW I'm in SA.

14. lantian

lantian Guest

im just laughing about all the hiped people before when amd first announced all this and they were like hell yeah supper crads new technology new api and all you got was a rebrand. Everyone who followed the market last couple of yours could have seen this coming, mantle is still in beta and has no announcements except for BF4 and ofcourse microsoft will not use mantle on xbox one as for mantle we already had such api in the past and we moved away from them so unless amd makes it open enough and usable for nvidia it will not catch on

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    And lo, thousands of AMD fanbois cried out in terror and then were suddenly silenced.

16. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Mantle is DX HLSL-compatible, you can develop for DX11.x, use the Mantle-API to optimise a lot of graphics coding/performance (just like some games have PhysX-options although the value of that is pretty much nil since the performance hit is usually not worth it for most Geforce-owners), nVidia can write a Mantle-driver for their cards (but they probably won't). AMD have said that nothing stops nVidia from writing a driver that works with Mantle on their GPU's.

We'll see where this will go. Impossible to say anything at this point.

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    NVidia will never use it,if it takes off they'll have their own similar API( that they can control ).

Im more interested in seeing if this will be available on Linux and if it will mean more PC games will be available on Linux( i hate Windows, would move in a second if top games were available on Linux ), M$ has done its best to hold PC gaming back, forcing delays of PC ports with $$$, having a crap PC GFWL, not porting most of M$ developed Xbox games.
    I would love to see sales of their OS's hurting if gamers moved to Linux, might be a pipe dream but sure we live in hope.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Mantle is open and NVidia is completely free to use it if they so choose. That has been stated several times. With AMD controlling all 3 consoles, NVidia is [in reality] irrelevant in whether or not Mantle takes off. It's solely up to developers and whether or not they want to make use of it.

19. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  20. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Well if you look at it in another way this might be a good thing for the future of pc gaming.First let's look at gpu's as i high end scalable console (Nvidia and AMD) each with their own api and exclusives like the console market (Microsoft and Sony) which are both competitors.Now the difference between them is what they have to offer for sale.Sony and Microsoft are stuck on one console for the next 5-10 years but AMD and Nvidia until then they would have hundreds of different variants of Gpu's for sale.If AMD and Nvidia would step in a new direction they could each make their own api and operating system exclusively for gaming only based on their hardware. As technology progresses users won't need i high end rig anymore to play AAA titles as more features get embedded on the card itself like what Amd is doing now with including a DSP for sound.This as a reaction could expand their business even further if they pay game studios to take advantage out of their cards and OP systems like the web has done with endless possibilities.Only then we could get (finally) rid of Windows for gaming and leave it for other purposes only and have a much better experience and performance plus almost? no more pirated games...Anyway i could go on and on but i will put a stop here.
    I might be dreaming but only time will show...........