Problem trying to install 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM on X58 motherboard

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Darren Hodgson, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 45 month old PC's memory from 3 x 2 GB (6 GB) of 1,333 MHz memory (which was running at 1,443 MHz due my CPU being overclocked to 3.6 GHz on a 180 MHz BCLk) to 3 x 4 GB (12 GB) of 1,600 MHz memory, which I was hoping I'd be able to overclock to 1,804 MHz using higher voltages and looser timings.

It was easy enough to fit the new RAM but upon booting into Windows, using the same 9, 9, 24, 2N @ 1.60 V settings I used for my other memory, it only shows 4 GB available (even the BIOS only shows that). I've checked with SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2012 and AIDA64 and both showed all three memory slots as being used with 4 GB in each one. :3eyes:

I tried upping the voltages and changing the memory settings to Auto and each reboot my PC would show a black screen. When I reboot again, the POST screen appears with the memory set to 1,066 MHz and an overclocked failed message. I did manage to get 8 GB to be detected by using a low memory speed but I couldn't get it to show all 12 GB.

So I removed them all and tried one with my CPU @ stock 2.67 GHz and the memory at 1,333 MHz @ 9, 9, 9, 24, 2N @ 1.5 V as stated on the RAM sticker. As expected one stick shows 4 GB. I tried it with my CPU at 3.2 GHz (160 MHz BCLK) and the memory at the stock speed of 1,600 MHz @ 1.5 V on the same timings. Again, that was OK.

I then inserted another stick and got the same hassle as in the third paragraph. So I removed the second stick and replaced it with the third so I still only had 8 GB inserted. That boots and works fine as I'm typing this message now with the RAM at 9, 9, 9, 24, 2N @ 1.5 V running at 1,600 MHz with my CPU at 3.2 GHz. If I insert the third stick then my PC fails to POST and upon rebooting it reverts to underclocked settings and still shows 8 GB.

So does that mean my third stick of RAM is faulty? I guess I should try it on its own to double-check.

Has anyone else had experience of these issues as I'm getting a bit annoyed to the point where I regret having bought the RAM in the first place. It was only £60 from Amazon and I thought it would extend the life of my machine as I'm not planning on upgrading this year as originally intended, simply because I don't think anything would require a new CPU and motherboard.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well I've just tried the suspect memory module on its own and my PC won't even POST so it looks very much like I've got a bad stick. :(

I've contacted Amazon now in the hope they'll send a replacement for Saturday. They're usually very good about returns/replacements which is one of the reasons I ordered from them. At least with a second set of tri-memory modules I'll have three chances of finding a working stick of 4 GB RAM!!!

In the meantime it looks like I'm stuck with running 8 GB of memory in dual-channel mode but at least that's 2 GB more than I had before! :nerd:

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    firstly make sure u have the latest bios and that ur using the white slots secondly return your bios to default setting,why over clock your ram....it will make no differance,i have an i7 960 running at 3.8 when i need extra performance but ram always stays at 1600mhz,if i let the bios set the ram with cpu oc`d it just runs my memory with lower clk`s and latency timings but makes no difference on performace,
    if you want to run 1866mhz buy 1866,either way you probably wont notice any diference with your cpu @ only 3.2ghz,
    one last thing...try booting system without ram to reset timings then insert new ram and boot to bios

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You may have a bad stick, but also your memory controller can't run 1800Mhz ram.
    That's why it only showed half the amount at 1800mhz, and the full amount (less the bad stick) when you lowered the speed.

Same thing happens to me over 1866Mhz. Only sees half the amount running single channel.

Those 920's are good for 1600mhz max iirc.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for the replies, Pill Monster.

I have the latest v2207 BIOS for my ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard and I did try the default profile after numerous attempts at various different settings. Whatever I tried, the third stick would not be recognised at all on its own or caused my PC to not POST then reset the BIOS on the second reboot if I used all three sticks. All three sticks refused to work even when I underclocked the RAM to 1,443 MHz and set the DRAM Voltage to 1.6 V. (my CPU is clocked at 3.6 GHz again). I'm no expert but I'd say that it looks very, very likely that I have a dodgy stick. I'm waiting for Amazon to reply to me email and hopefully they'll ship a replacement today or tomorrow.

As for why I'm overclocking... well my original 6 GB G.Skill 1,333 MHz was running overclocked at 1,600 MHz on a BCLK of 160 MHz with no issues for over three years (these are the settings CyberPower set when I bought my pre-built PC from them). I figured that 1,600 MHz would easily overclock to 1,800 MHz using the next memory divider up and more memory bandwidth is better than less, right? The 2 x 4 GB sticks I'm using right now are running at 1,443 MHz you see due to me using a BCLK of 180 MHz to overclock my CPU to 3.6 GHz. I figured underclocking the memory would be a waste and wanted to see if it could handle the 1,804 MHz. Clearly I was wrong because even with the two working sticks, which I've checked with the Windows 7 Memory Diagnostics Tool (I ran it twice and it reported no errors both times), my PC will fail to post if I try to run the RAM above 1,600 MHz even with Auto timings and DRAM Voltage.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Don't worry, you aren't missing out on much.
    The performance gap between 1600 & 1866 is a lot smaller than say 1333 vs 1600.

I just read another benchmarking article today that confirms 1600mhz is still the best price/performance ram. :)

7. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Which voltage are you talking about?
    The key one for the memory controller is the Uncore/VTT one.
    To be able to run my ram @1870 I had to set Uncore @1.4V and memory @1.7V which is safe because I have less than 500mv difference between both (this is the main reason why max recommended is 1.65v if you keep uncore @default)

My memory are supposed to run @2000Mhz but the memory controller (uncore) is the limiting factor for me.

The problem is that on 920-930-950... the uncore logic has to run at least at x2 the memory speed (3740 for me) because only 96 bits are going out of controller at a time and triple channel represent 3*64=192 bit.
    This has been changed on the 6 Cores CPU where the controller outputs 128bits therefore only 1.5X is required :)

8. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I fully agree

But when talking about OC there is always some sort of satisfaction when you are able to get the max from your HW even if it is completely useless :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Darrens board can run 1800mhz ram on a heavy oc infact it can go up 2000mhz by using an XMP profile as long as the ram is capable of running at this speed.

The problem with profiles is that is all it is...a profile and that is all you get by using it,however if you overclock the cpu using bclk and multiplyer your ram overclocks also along with the cpu so you get the best of both worlds.

The problem that can arise here is that the higher the cpu goes the higher the ram goes obviously but your heat and instability increases the higher you go.

This is why you need to have great cooling to use your ram at its maximum speed *while its in syncronisation* with cpu bclk/multiplyer.

Most people never get to use the maximum speed on there ram because they dont have the cpu/ram cooled enough or they buy ram that is so highly clocked that the cpu has a hard time getting to that oc within the syncronisation of both.

It all boils down to your cooling,if you want to max and run all your hardware at its maximum threshold then you need the right cooling to do it

All my hardware is running past its recommended oc for 24/7 use apart from my gpus cause i have good cooling.

Darren check this troubleshooting thread regarding your issue.
    http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-...g-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^You missed the part where he booted into Windows @1800mhz and only half his memory was available. ;)

My board & ram can both run 2133mhz, however my memory controller disagrees and like Darren's only recognizes half the RAM, and in single channel.

I can't think of any other logical reason for it.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Amazon are preparing to send me a replacement today and are going to ship it one-day delivery so I should get it for Saturday.

My QPI/DRAM Core Voltage (same as CPU VTT I believe) is 1.3 V by the way and my CPU Voltage is 1.28750 V. I have a C0 Stepping Core i7-920 and my PC has been 100% stable on those setting with my previous 1,333 MHz memory clocked at 1,433 MHz @ 1.6 V. I'm currently running the 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) at the same speed, only at 1.5 V as the sticker on the RAM states '9, 9, 9, 24 timings and 1.5 V'. I haven't any problems so far and I've ran Heaven 3.0 on Extreme Tessellation settings, 8xAA/16xAF, 1920x1200 for 25 minutes or so as well as 3DMark11's Extreme test (I scored 3,717, my highest score yet!).

I did try running my CPU at 4.0 GHz using a 200 BLCK as that allows the memory to also run at 1,600 MHz but my PC crashed while it was booting into Windows. I suspect that it wasn't getting enough juice though as I left it on 1.28750 V. I'm not sure whether my CPU can run at that speed given it's not D0 stepping but my temperatures with 3.6 GHz don't exceed 65 C during 100% load so it might...

Incidentally, CPU-Z v1.60 shows the following under the XMP-1600 Timings Table:

CAS# Latency: 9
    RAS# to CAS#: 9
    RAS# Precharge: 9
    tRAS: 25
    tRC: 33
    Command Rate: 2T

What is confusing me is why the tRAS is given as 25 when the sticker on the memory modules has it listed as 24? I'm running it at 24 now as I set the 9, 9, 9, 24, 2N manually. Does it matter?

@Veteran - Many thanks for that link, it was very informative.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Oooops, of course a tRAS of 24 is OK at the moment as I'm only running the RAM at 1,433 MHz not the 1,600 MHz of the XMP profile! Duh!

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The XMP profiles seem to be more based on stability than performance...

My HyperX has an XMP of 9-9-9-27-36 1.65v which is pathetic. I just ignored it and set everything manually 8-9-8-24-33 1T @1.50v

9-9-9-24 1T is pretty standard for 1600mhz your ram should handle that no problem.

14. mrmonsoon

mrmonsoon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7870+2509M+2511X
    At the risk of stating the obvious, can you clock your ram stock???

I have 24 gigs loaded on my x58 sabertooth, it does , however want to run @ 1366on it's own, I have to manually set it to 1600-even though the ram is ddr-3 1600.

In all honesty, I suspect you would get better performance and less issues with stock ram and an ssd for extra speed.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is the tRC the same setting as DRAM REF Cycle Time on ASUS BIOSs as I wanted to set mine manually to 33. Or is it set to that using Auto settings?

(I apologise for being a bit of a 'noob' when it comes to memory)

/blush

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah set it to 33 manually, if left on auto you may end up with something ridiculous like 40...lol

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    You're a star, Pill Monster. How can I check what settings my RAM is currently using as CPU-Z doesn't show this setting? Thanks.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AIDA64, the timings are listed under the Chipset tab.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So it is... thanks again! :D

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I dont mate i never heard of that,never had that problem,im sure theres an explanation for it somewhere.