old psu, possible upgrade

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by jimmy123, Apr 15, 2014.

1. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    Hi guys im not very good with hardware so thats why ive come here.

First off, do i need to change my PSU in order to upgrade to a new MB.

I have a toughpower 750 bought about 6 or 7 years ago.

If i don't have to change my psu what sort of upgrade can i get for around 800 to 900 English pounds, i need a new MB, CPU and GPU and 8gig of memory unless you think 16g is necessary.

Want a pc for gaming so any advice is welcome.

Was thinking about getting the parts from overclockers amazon or AWD it

2. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    After abit of research ive found out i will need a new psu if im togo with intel 4670k.
    Dam more money :bang:

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You're wanting a full gaming build for up to £900? What resolution do you play at, and do you have anything you can reuse in the new build? This includes O/S, peripherals, HDD's, optical drives, monitor, and case. If so please list exactly what these components are.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    ive bought a Gigabyte Z87X-D3H and a intel 4670k, Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 and Samsung 840 EVO 250GB.

Havnt bought the gpu yet.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    PSU wise go with either Corsair or Seasonic.

6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Bit of a bland recommendation there, Corsair don't make their own PSU's. They rebrand from the likes of Seasonic.

Use these websites:

1: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm
    2: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

And cross reference the data with reviews from the likes of Jonnyguru and Kitguru. Depending on where you are in the world and how much you have to spend, there are better value and even quality supplies out there than those offered by Corsair and Seasonic. Superflower is a prime example of this, who are also the OEM for the higher end EVGA units.

7. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    Can i use the 750 toughpower that ive been using for the last 7 years or should i renew ?
    I watch on youtube some chump rabbiting on about the new cpus and mb run better with newer psu's ?
    Not sure if it was a sales gimmick or there was some truth behind it.
    I'm gonner run a single card probably a 770

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If your PSU is 7 years old and you're doing a full rebuild anyway, I'd take the chance to upgrade it if I was you. PSU's degrade over time and you've been running that for quite awhile. There's also a potential problem with the new low power states offered by Haswell not functioning with that PSU, although chances are it wont be a problem. It shouldn't be difficult to google up a list of compatible units.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  9. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    well apparently my psu is compatible, it was what i heard on a utube video about Haswelll and old psu's that got me wondering.
    Am i just being to tight for the sake of sixty pounds.

10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Was the video similar to this: Few PSUs support Haswell's C6/C7 low-power states

"Haswell's C6/C7 states require a minimum load of 0.05 amps on the 12V2 rail, and some power supplies can't pump out that little juice. Haswell systems powered by incompatible PSUs can run into stability problems. They can also shut off when entering the low-power C6/C7 states, if the PSU's under- or over-voltage protection kicks in."

I'd be more concerned about the age of the unit for reasons Darkest stated above... personally I'd replace it, as it's served you well.

Also, you should be able to disable these low power states in the bios.

11. jimmy123

jimmy123 Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt
    O.k thanks for your advice, look like ill be getting a new psu.