Poor performance on 7870 in COD: Advanced Warfare

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by samusprime89, Nov 4, 2014.

1. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    So idk if this has been mentioned yet but this game performs like crap on my 7870, does anyone have any idea when we will see an optimized driver for AMD cards soon? because Nvidia just got one released and this pisses me off as an AMD owner that Nvidia always gets new drivers for nearly ever new game that comes out, this is really making me wanna just switch to Nvidia.... any tips on fixing the terrible fps drops?

specs:

intel i5 3570k
    msi 7870
    corsair cx600
    8 kingston hyper x predator gb ram

2. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Hi,

Catalyst 14.9.2 is the game ready AMD driver for COD:AW, however this driver does not currently have a Crossfire profile. We will release a new driver soon to rectify this.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Wouldn't it be easier/better to start releasing CAPs again to save us having to completely reinstall drivers just for profiles ?

4. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    The new driver will contain more than just a new profile for this title.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    So Nvidia not blocking you guys from actually getting the source code for the game to properly optimize it this time?

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah ok, thanks

7. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Nope im already on 14.9.2 the game still runs like ****, no fix in sight, i already listed my 7870 on ebay for 120 bucks, selling this **** and going to get nvidia card

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm getting so pissed at AMD. Aways late on most games and then it doesn't work properly. I hope we get something awesome with this game. A big title like this should have drivers out on release date.

Please AMD all I ask is for you to release a driver like today if you can!!!!!

I'm also thinking of selling my cards and go Nvidia. most of my clan mates really enjoy the game and can do 91FPS constant in ultiplayer with GTX770 although they on 1080p and i'm on 2560x1440 they have room to spare so they might even do 91FPs with 1 or 2 settings reduced. If amd doesn't pull there hands out of their asses then they might loose even more customers. My next card won't be AMD for sure even if they cost 50% less than Nvidia.

I'm sorry for ranting but I'm just tired for spending so much money and should be getting awesome performance but only have issues time and time again. AMD should stop investing money in stuff they can't even get to work. They should sue Dice for mantle not working cause it's clearly a problem with BF4 and not AMD. I can play Thief on max graphics 2560x1440 using mantle with no lag but BF4 just lags when using mantle. I really can't believe this. AMd get your act together please!!!!!!!!!

What else will the new driver contain. Flying ponies or rainbows or make us see people through walls or what? I've never laughed so hard stop trying to defned yourself/AMD. i expected a driver like yesterday Already. I regret buying AMD and This game for that matter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. karim007

karim007 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire r9 270x dual-x
    i am also really disappointed with amd so far
    i was always amd fan and i had hd 4000 and 5000 cards i never had problem with them until amd stopped supporting them

but after i bought r9 270x for my desktop and laptop with hd 8600m card
    i have a lot and i mean it a lot of problems

flickering , black screen , sleep issue , low fps , mantle issue , wired bsods ...:micro:

and now i have alt+tab black screen issue with dx11 games driver 14.9.2 beta

i am sure that my next card won't be amd anymore

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah I was with nvidia all the time. My gtx 570 sli setup was amazing. it's just not able to handle 2560x1440 @ 96Hz but never had any real issues regarding major stutter etc etc.

I wanted to get the 780 but was to expensive. Some people told me you get what you pay for and that's 100% true. No wonder AMD market share is so low. Like i said, i feel that it's unacceptable of AMD not to have a driver on the release date of a major title like COD:AW. I mean it's been since Monday and no driver. at the moment I don't care for extra stuff etc. I only care about the game not microstuttering etc etc. This should be out ASAP.

11. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    cod aw running fine on my 7950 with Catalyst 14.9.1

so the driver isnt the problem.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The game is quite demanding, if you have the graphics maxed out with antialiasing on you existing card it's not wonder why you are having performance issues. Having 2 GB of video RAM and using max settings with antialiasing is simply not realistically achievable with any card, that includes from Nvidia. You can't compare it to other games like saying Ghosts or whatever works fine, so this should too, it's simply not how 'things' work!

Stating what graphics settings you are using would be a great benefit, simply saying performance is crap doesn't help to find the source of your issues. I would say the first thing you should do is TURN OFF AA all together, and go from there. You may need to find out what graphic settings chew through the most memory. You have to consider you have a HD7870, not a R9-290X, you can't expect it to play all the latest games maxed out.

Your HD7950 is not only faster than the HD7870, but it also has 3 GB of RAM. Also, you could be using different settings, no AA or whatever...

In terms of other issues people have been having, I have found that one of the leading causes of instabilities is people being heavy handed with overclocks. It seems online that running Prime95 for 24 hours is proof that an overclock of the system works, and likewise running a video benchmark for 24 hours is proof that a video overclock works. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Crashes or instabilities may only occur in very certain circumstances, and it could very well be just running one game can cause it.

In terms of Mantle not being perfect in BF4 etc, you have to keep in mind that it's still in development. I think you'll probably find the next Battlefield installment next year will have much better Mantle performance and stability.

13. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I have seen used 7970s on amazon for 160 so good luck trying to get 120 for that. Also with pc gaming not ever game will run perfect the day it comes out get over it. Sometimes you have to wait for a driver release or do some tinkering. Last but not least switching to NVidia will not solve all your problems. One of the most overused scapegoats on the internet. Next time you buy a videocard if your serious about gaming spend a little more you get what you pay for. I bought my 7970 in 2011 and don't see any reason to upgrade for a few years still. If your going to upgrade now what's your budget?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014