NVIDIA Optimus in older games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Caesum, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Caesum

Caesum Guest

So generally it is well known that NVIDIA Optimus is bad at making GeForce work for old games. It enables GeForce only on DX9 and newer games, while completely ignoring DX8, 7 et cetera.

Apparently to make NVIDIA Optimus work it must either find an application which uses DirectX 9 or PhysX, there's also some special command which calls Optimus directly(or so I heard :roll: ).

My question is, is it possible to make some wrapper thing or something that would enable NVIDIA Optimus without specially converting DX1-8 to DirectX 9? As I remember while there is already an enbseries wrapper for DirectX 8 apps, making one for older DirectX versions is too time-consuming. But would it be possible to only make it call DirectX 9 so NVIDIA Optimus would think of such application as written for DirectX9? Or something like that?

I asked the same question at enbdev.com and the author of enbseries said that it is possible to do something like that, but it would be needed to provide a special launcher-patcher to patch games. Unfortunately he doesn't have time and an NVIDIA Optimus laptop to make it by himself. He suggested looking for help here.

So, is it possible and is there anyone who could try making such a patcher?

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Nvidia Inspector can do this by changing the gfx used for any given game's .exe

Click the little spanner/screwdriver icon. Find the game profile, scroll down the page, then, change "Do not display this profile in control panel" to "CPL_HIDDEN_PROFILE_DISABLED". In the next line "Enable Application for Optimus" change to "Autodesk showcase". If that doesn't work try "SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLED".

The first change let's you choose the GPU for that game. The second option is the rendering method used. Save the profile "Apply changes" and it should now show up in the Nvidia control panel saying it's using Nvidia gpu for that game.

3. Caesum

Caesum Guest

Tried that already with several games but it doesn't work. If the game uses DirectX 8 or older it is then completely ignored by NVIDIA GPU.

Tested on:
    Harry Potter 1 & 2
    Tomb Raider IV/Tomb Raider Level Editor(same engine)
    Shadowman
    American McGee's Alice
    Gothic 1 & 2

It is especially irritating with Shadowman, Gothic series and Harry Potter series, since they are very slow on Intel GPU.

I have GeForce 850M with 355.60 nvidia drivers. My laptop is an acer aspire v5-573G.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  4. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders

5. Caesum

Caesum Guest

I have Windows 8.1 64-bit so "MS Hybrid" problem shouldn't apply to me. Anyway, I cannot believe NVIDIA just decided to drop support to older games entirely instead of trying to make them work.

About TR4, for me it's especially important when it comes to custom levels. Some levels, like Mists of Avalon or Hypersquare, require a much better graphics card in order to run smoothly.

About the VOGONS thread, unfortunately it doesn't come up with a solution that works with other games.

6. Caesum

Caesum Guest

I'm sorry for bumping this old thread of mine but I truly do wonder if there's a way to run DX1-8 games on NVIDIA Optimus dedicated graphics card? A lot of DX8 games are slow and laggy in Intel GPU, especially modded games.