How to OC 5820K to 4GHz?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Gripen90, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I may start to say sorry about a lot of questions here, but I want to do it right from the start :)
    Moving from a 4930K@4GHz to a 5820K I want to keep the same performance at least :)
    With my 4930K all I did was change multiplier to x40 and everything else on auto.
    With the 5820K what kind of multiplier can I set before touching the Vcore ?

I would like to get 4GHz out of the cpu, and from I have read and heard 4GHz should be doable at 1.15vcore ?

When changing Vcore manually will it automatically adjust to the Mhz frequency ? I am interestet in power saving so when I don't need 4Ghz the cpu will downclock and then the vcore also reduces. Do I need to set something with offset or something. With the 4930K I never set the vcore manually since I didn't know how to make it drop when the cpu ran at lower Mhz.

As for cooling I am using a Phanteks ph-tc12dx air cooler with 2x120mm push/pull :)

Thanks for helping out :)

NB!! Please don't comment that the move from X79 to X99 is stupid - I already got the parts except the case (arrives monday) :( I got my reasons and one is that I need more sata 3.0 ports than the two I currently have.

2. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Anyone ?
    Reading reviews etc doesn't explain if the vcore will lower when the cpu is OC'ed and idles :(

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm sorry but if you're not familiar with overclocking why are you buying an enthusiast grade CPU?

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Set sync all cores to 40x and disable asus multi core optimization and then set voltage to manual first to find stable voltage, then later put in that said stable voltage by adaptive total turbo voltage (when you switch from manual fixed to adaptive).

By Haswell you can do that voltage drop easy now, yeah by IvyBridge its was more difficult with offset voltages..

Imo even 4.3 - 4.4 Ghz would be very doable and easy.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Oh Lordy a wise guy. I remind you that we are here to help each other and generally everyone needs a bit of help with new kit be it from whatever source.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You should really calm your tits man, lately nothing but wisecracks from you...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  7. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I am VERY familiar with overclocking ! I OC'ed PII-400@600Mhz. I did pencil mods on AMD Duron 600@800MHz. I played with AMD Tbred JIUHB steppings running XP1800+ 1533Mhz@2533MHz. Running Northwood P4 2.4@3.0Ghz. AMD X2 4600 2.4@3.1GHz etc.:)

Thing is that OC'ing and settings change all the time !.
    Since X79 I haven't found out how to make manually entered Vcore settings adjust (lower) to the corresponding MHz settings. Reviews didn't help and asking in forums didn't help since most run with fixed Vcore. Now in my later days I'm interested in saving some power also due to the powerbills so having a PC in idle hammering with max Mhz and Vcore isn't acceptable to me, therefore I seek a balance.

Now with the X99 I knew something changed, and I just want to ask for help to get to my goal since reviews don't explain it and motherboard manuals aren't helpfull either to what the settings actually affect.
    So I search for information from people who like me also share interest in a wattage/performance balance :)

8. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thank you :)
    I am going to use a MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition board, ci7 5820K, 16gb Crucial BallistiX DDR4 2400MHz cl16 1.2v ram.

I have these options in the BIOS according to the manual.
    I assume it's primarily the first one that should be set. E.g 1.15v core and Adaptive Mode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes, but if you want to stress test then use manual - override voltage, so it doesnt overshot for 0.010v or so by AVX apps - e.g. Handbrake or FHD x264 stress test benchmark.

By cache /vring voltage, you can use the same adaptive later, that's if you decide to OC that too.. Typical bsod if not enough voltage 0x124 whea or hard reset.

CPU SA voltage is only in offset and this is mostly usable by higher cpu multi/memory freq., small + offset 0.040 or up to 0.080v+ could help stabilize a thing or two.. Mostly if you get BSOD 0x101 watch dog.

SVID or input voltage or VCCIN (one and the same thing) can play a stability role too, usually 1.80 - 1.85v is enough, if its not it can whea 0x124 or even 0x101 (very rare), or just hard reset..

10. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Thanks for pointing out in detail :)

I will use Asus RealBench 2.4, Prime95 ver27.9 to stress test and monitor temperatures.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    How would he otherwise learn??

Practice makes perfect.

12. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Like other people said, use manual voltage to find stability.

After that go for offset voltage. Use any software that reports VID/VCore and try to set a VID close, but lower than your manual voltage. Takes a little trial and error, like all overclocking.

Setting your stable manual voltage on your "additional turbo voltage" (when using adaptive voltage), seems to give your CPU more voltage than manual, even when not running AVX synthetics.

Offset also enables you to fully take advantage of the power saving features introduced in Haswell, and by moving the whole VID table up, you avoid possible crashes when the CPU is not under full load, or in other words, not using your "additional turbo voltage".

I do however found something weird, at least on my motherboard. I found that I have more stability by choosing Adaptive Voltage and set an offset, than choosing just Offset Voltage and setting the offset. It's weird because it's supposed to be the same, but Prime95 26.6 says otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015