Windows Phone 10 - Apps not updating

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The gf's brother has a Lumia 550 running WP10,

There is a system update stuck at 0%
    There are 28 store apps stuck on pending

There is one app called mp3quicktrim or something similar stuck in limbo, it seemed to be the one causing the problem in the store, so I tried uninstalling it, which worked, but it reappeared when I checked the store for app updates again, except it only reappeared as an empty icon with it's name, no image

Now hitting uninstall doesn't do anything on that app

The other 28 apps are stuck pending, I assume because of this app

The OS update is also stuck because it thinks the store is updating apps

Basically I've tried:

Hold Volume Down & Power until it reboots and vibrates
    Disabled any battery saving modes
    Checked active hours are set correctly
    Cancelled all the store updates and waited for the OS update, it still hangs on 0%
    Checked time & date are correct
    Storage has enough room
    Emptied all temp

Basically all fixes I could think of and find online, and the exact same problem remains

Last resort is factory reset, which we're trying to avoid

Can anyone think of any more tricks before we have to wipe it to get rid of that mp3 trimming app?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    UPDATE: He just phoned saying the apps have all started updating on their own now....

Dafuq? I was on with that thing for about 45 minutes and nothing would update lol

See how it gets on with the OS update once they are finished updating

3. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I had a Lumia 650 which offers similar performance to the 550.

Whilst the OS was downloading an update and preparing to install (which took over an hour) nothing would download from the Store. This was a problem with the older version of Windows 10 Mobile and PC which has been fixed for some time.

By restarting the phone several times you probably delayed the update further.

I think with any phone it's a good idea to skip the sign in process, update the phone, reset the phone and then go through the sign in process. Android and all.

Microsoft are looking to compress these large updates for both Mobile and PC.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nothing would update, the update for the OS had been sitting on 0% for weeks

Not sure how long the apps had been stuck, likely as long

It kept reminding him during the night to update, then doing nothing but sitting on 0%

Gf called him earlier, he says 19 apps updated, then the phone wanted to reboot to complete an update, so I'm guessing it is working now

5. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Weeks!? That's strange. Sounds like a reset would've been in order.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, trying to avoid that because I'd be the one having to set it back up the way it was before the reset

Not out of the woods yet, apparently it is now telling him he needs to update apps on his other devices, before he can update them on that one, which is strange in itself, and even more so that I created that MSA specifically for that phone, he didn't even have the login until I gave him it tonight, so 100% that device is the only one logged in with that MSA

There are easier things in life than trying to fix a Windows Phone, over the phone lol

7. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Aye - Teamviewer launched an update which allows you to fully remote control a mobile phone. Check it out in the Store, might be easier!? That is, assuming you can get it to install.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Cheers, just tested it on the gf's Lumia 650 and it worked well, quite amusing opening loads of stuff, taking photos, calling people while she was trying to stop me lol

Even seemed to stop her turning her phone off as long as I was continuously clicking the home button :D

He's just phoned back and all seems to be sorted now, up to .321 OS build, he's just going to check the remaining few apps, but looks like this is solved without wiping, Phewff :D

9. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I think Teamviewer is cross platform - might install it on my gf's iPhone and record her reactions with a hidden camera. :nerd:

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D unfortunately it pops up with a request ALLOW / DENY on the 'victims' phone before you have any control

Might be a way to set it up to accept requests for certain trusted devices, but didn't check