Unofficial overclocking method not working on Windows 10

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ksio89, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ksio89

ksio89 Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 8850M@8870M
    [SOLVED] Unofficial overclocking method not working on Windows 10

As you might now, there is an unofficial overlocking procedure for Radeon cards with MSI Afterburner:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

This hack was working on my Dell Inspiron with a Radeon HD 8850M GDDR5 under Windows 8.1, in which I was able to raise the core and memory clocks to match 8870M levels, it is, 725-735 and 1125 MHz in this order. However, it's not working on Windows 10 anymore.

The core and mem clocks are stuck at 0, when the default vaules should be 625 and 1000 MHz respectively, and obviously that means neither the sliders nor the clock value boxs work anymore.

Is this an issue with Windows 10 or the current Afterburner build does not support Windows 10 completely? It might look a very small difference, but at Full HD resolution, it enables me to get steady 60 fps on some more demanding games.

edit: I'm using an old build of EVGA Precision X which is compatible with Radeon cards and I'm able to overclock the 8850M again, and don't even need to mess with DLLs or registry keys. I'll wait for a proper MSI Afterburner build for Windows 10 meanwhile.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  2. cordeiro

cordeiro Guest

GPU:
    xfx r9 285 OC 2gb
    Can you tell me what precision version you are using. My core and mem clocks are also stuck at 0 (xfx r9 285).

3. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    interesting. the results are early, but I always had the powerplay mode enabled in the settings for afterburner on my 280x, never had issues.. since upgrading to the 290x on w10, I started getting random reboots and crashes all the time.. I have this set to disabled , and so far, so good.. i notice when changing profiles, my monitor doesn't flick on and off either.. its been only about an hour, but I tried witcher 3, seems the OC is a little more stable a little higher (I can push the clock 1160 now, from 1060 factory, before I could hit about 1140)... again. I haven't tested it thoroughly enough to say this is the fix, BUT, so far. it seems like its having a positive effect..

4. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    ok. nope. thats not the problem either.. trying amd 15.7 now. this is bizarre..

5. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    ok. well since dropping down to 15.7, the issues seemed to have ceased. so something may be wrong with 15.7.1 for me, since I removed that twice and reinstalled it yesterday and the problem persisted. Hopefully things will be normal in the morning, since that has not happened for me with 15.7.1.

6. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    Things running normally this morning.. So there is something wrong with 15.7.1 amd drivers..