More freesync displays than gsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by spectatorx, Sep 3, 2016.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Is that just my impression or there is released and announced more freesync displays than gsync ones? Usually when i read news about displays they mention most of the time new models with freesync or without any of them (fs/gsync), sometimes but very rarely i see news about new displays having gsync support or displays which have two variants: one with gsync and one with freesync.

Personally, if my impression is not work of my imagination, i think it is partially good that freesync became more popular among monitor manufacturers because this can make amd's gpus a bit more popular among customers and freesync is not as proprietary as gsync is. Maybe nvidia will implement support for freesync in their drivers, this would turn out well for everyone, but i think nvidia will show to us again "typical nvidia" behavior and this behavior is reason why i will never buy any of nvidia gpus, ever, even if amd's gpus would be total disasters. I would love to see the third big gpu manufacturer on market making proper gpus, not like intel and their only built-in gpus or matrox with their dedicated to specific purposes gpus.

In summary i want to post this link to list of Freesync displays:
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/freesync#5

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Freesync is part of DisplayPort spec, so supporting it is all part of the DP licensing. (aka no additional costs) To support GSync, you need NVIDIA's proprietary chip in your monitor, which adds $100 to the monitor's cost.

NVIDIA can support Freesync, as it's an Open standard, but I doubt they will.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    there are currently over 100 free-sync models.

Freesync is really just a marketing thing, you can support freesync without actually having AMD certify it by using the DP V-sync standard.

But, since its free to have AMD certify it, no one will.

Which is why ngreedia wont use it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    NVIDIA not supporting freesync, while all the capability is clearly there, is a very naked showing of their general attitude towards their clientele.

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    its not really that surprising, AMD is their competition.

Would you really expect AMD to support an Nvidia initiative?

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Now that you mention that, there isn't a single one they could, even if they wanted to. That's one of the differences right there.

That doesn't make NVIDIA's stance less cynical or despicable.

7. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    What would be not only interesting but quite entertaining actually, is head to head comparison between G-syng/Freesync monitors with the same panel...

Say...XG270/XF270HU...and I'm pretty sure there are enough monitors for such a comparison to have some meaning.

Somehow, none of the more "specialized" sites have come up to it.

I guess it's quite difficult...heavens forbid if there were no actual differences apart from the G premium.

8. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i believe the predators have both a gsync and freesync model with the same panel.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yep, there are separate models of freesync and gsync monitors. I'll prolly be getting the freesync 21:9 monitor pretty soon.

10. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    The quantity doesn't make it any better specially in his main function: adaptive sync.

If you look at the specs of monitors whom have Gsync and FreeSync versions normally the supported adaptive sync Hz range is wider (and max higher) in the Gsync case.

it's not rare to see monitors like the LG34UM67 with freesync range of action from 48 to 75 Hz and the last (and worst) case i saw on this forum is the LG 38UC99 with a tiny range of 23 FPS (from 52 Hz to 75Hz)! :bang:

HH made a good article explaining how to hack Fresssync monitors to increase the adaptive Hz range:

Owners of Freesync Monitors can enlarge Hz range with simple hack

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yeah, simple Hack ;-) Maby for us nerds :grad:

Lot easier is to use CRU -> http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Forum-Monitors-Video-Cards

But, now we can have new Samsung Quantum dot HDR Freesync LED monitors in 299$/€ price range ! and that is Great becouse you dont need to hack it:
    Freesync range ~20-120 :)

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    When CRU works...it never worked for me. :(

299 for what? 17 inches monitors?

Even for small sized monitors THAT'S a good adaptive sync range! :nerd:

I only hope they are not going to explode like the Samsung phablets! :D