Radeon HD 7790 tested and reviewed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Today we review the AMD Radeon HD 7790, the Sapphire Dual-X OC model specifically. The new graphics card is intended to boost a little more performance into entry-level gaming. Despite the earli...

Radeon HD 7790 tested and reviewed

2. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Glad to see you guys started a section for frametimes but can't really agree that it's not noticeable.

Average users probably won't notice it unless they see the difference themselves, but here in G3D, how many are average users? :D

Looking forward to your detailed review on the times.

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    This, especially in Hitman: Absolution.
    Most people would probably notice the microstutter only when they're playing it, not from just watching its benchmark.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guru3D forums users are a tough crowd to please :nerd:, realistically you guys are only 20% of the site demographics but you really are very much geared to the enthusiast side of things and measurements. What I am trying to say is that your average consumer would never notice it or be interested in it, for a lot of people readers its just too much confusing info in a review. Realistically, people like simple numbers they can understand and relate to (I mean 3DMark is successful for that one single number, not for it's 'cutting edge' graphics).

Obviously you guys do have a thirst for this .. and that's why I decided to start with Frametime (or what I like to call frame experience) measurements.

Over time we'll add more and more results and comparisons. This needs to build a little. The aim is to do this with roughly half of the games/benchmarks used per review.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Actually you can see it far better in the timedemo benchmark then in the game itself.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    There's a test who have been conducted between processors with and without HT . in 99% of the case, frametimes was good without HT, when problematic on some games with HT enabled. It look like there's a big link between HT and frametimes.
    On the same way, Nvidia delay all frames by 1 frame, trying to smooth it, it work on some case, but problematic on other..

Core parking increase the problem too specially with CPU with hyperthreading

First it is linked to some games, then it is extremely more linked to the hardware we was think at first. you will strangely get less frametimes problem with a quadcore without HT, you will have with a I7 3960x on some title.

There's many factor to take in account and sadly the frametimes review actually dont push the test enough deep..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funny result no ?

here an Hitman absolution run. the map used is Chinatown ( in game, not the benchmark ) and i follow the way used by HardOCP on his frametimes test ..

Driver was 13.2 beta at this time, and CFX is enabled ( AFR ).
    [​IMG]
    At first you can think, wow what a constant variation, but in reality the frametimes is so low, the variation look big ( because the graph is adjusted automatically ), but it is only a 3ms variation in reality.

If instead of been around 7ms average frametime, it was run at 30ms, the graph will just display a line.

Anyway, its not the thread for start a discussion about frametimes.. Im glad gpu brands start to watch it, but yes in many case the results are not so easy to analyze

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thank you for this review and THANK YOU for including frame times. They tell so much more.

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    what the **** nearly as fast as my 6970 in some tests :3eyes:

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm glad that you added it -- but I'm actually more glad that you called out other sites for overstating it. I know that IPlayNaked runs a crossfire AMD setup and notices no unusual lag spikes during his gaming sessions -- he doesn't see microstutters or anything out of the norm. Sure Nvidia may have better correction, but AMD's is probably decent enough.

Anyway I'm looking forward to future reviews with this. Thanks.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Good review boss. Nice little card, too.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    It's true. And honestly, it may be more pronounced if you aren't maintaining constant 60/120 FPS. I could see how things would be exaggerated at say 38 FPS.

That said, the only game I ever see any issue in is heavily modded Skyrim, but we all know that can be a stutterfest for a number of reasons. Not least of which...grass everywhere. Everywhere.

12. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    Nice thank you for this !

13. nanohead

nanohead New Member

GPU:
    2x7950@900mhz
    Still the best reviews out there.... thanks HH

Its true that almost no one would ever notice the subtle differences. What's becoming blatantly obvious to me now, is that all the video cards these guys are coming up with aren't really moving the ball forward. They all seem the same at this point, as they all have so much power, with rare exception, almost any midrange and up GPU will play nearly all games.

I still can't see a reason to upgrade from the OCd 6870s in Xfire. I can play every single AAA game in full 1080P, with nearly every graphics feature turned on.

For the money, I just can't get my head around another $500-$700 for new cards, that don't really change my user experience....

14. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    ^^^ I blame consoles for that. Hopefully that will start to change over the next 12+ months. :)