NHL.com very slow on firefox, fast on IE

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by chazly413, Mar 16, 2012.

1. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    So I've had this problem for a while now where NHL.com runs very slow on my firefox for some reason. By slow I mean there are a few dynamic elements on the website and when they transition, my browser all but freezes up for a few moments; it's very annoying.

So today I decide to start up IE and go to NHL.com and it runs smooth as glass. I'm not sure what other info I need to provide.. Any ideas? I don't think it's the flash as other flash websites run fine but I believe the lagging elements may be javascript. Also, for what it's worth, I did a fresh reinstall of Firefox today.

2. Quatrix

Quatrix Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Same here. It's very clunky in Firefox 11 but runs much faster in Chrome, Opera, and Internet Explorer. It's a lot better if I run Firefox in safe mode (firefox -safe-mode). I tried disabling all extensions and it was still slow, so it must be some other setting. I haven't had time to narrow it down further. I'll let you know what I find.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    have firefox run in ram instead of your hard drive.

4. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    ^This.

Browser cache and TEMP files on a RAM Disk = win.

I just bought a Pro licence of Primo RAMDisk a few days ago after using Dataram RAMDisk Free for as long as I can remember. The read and write speeds are a lot faster with Primo, and can definitely recommend it, if you've got the spare monies of course.

Ordering another 6GB RAM this week. :nerd:

5. Quatrix

Quatrix Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    That doesn't make any sense. It wouldn't explain why nhl.com runs much better in other browers, as they use the disk too. Nor does disk cache activity have any noticeable effect on a modern PC. Nor does safe mode (in which nhl.com runs smoothly) do anything to the cache settings. I have an i7-2600K, and both the Firefox binaries and its cache are on an SSD.

Like I said, I'll let the poster know when I track down the cause.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. Quatrix

Quatrix Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    chazly, go to Options > Advanced, uncheck "Use hardware acceleration", and see if nhl.com runs better. That did the trick for me, though turning off acceleration shouldn't be necessary I still need to figure out why.

7. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    It definitely seems better, thanks! I'll let you know more about how it's working in a few days.

8. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    Just checking in. NHL.com is working fine and I have not noticed any ill effects with other websites. Thanks again!