New high end graphics card or should i wait?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cromat, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    SLI MSI 560GTX TI TFII OC
    Good Day All

There are probably a million threads like this and a million post openings like this so gonna cut to the chase.

I currently have 2X 1GB MSI 560GTX TI's Twin Frozr II OC edition in SLI with 2500K at 4.5GHZ and 8 gigs of Gskill Ripjaws X 1600mhz mem.

Both my cards are running at 950mhz core clock each with 1.25vcore (OC'd normally 880mhz stock factory OC) and memory OC factory stock at 4200mhz.

I have been thinking of getting a single slot high end card solution instead of 2 cards. Am i wasting my time and should instead wait for next generation or should i upgrade to a high end single card now?

2. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    If I were you I would wait, unless you arent happy with what you're getting atm with what you have.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    depends on if you can still by by on 1gb of vram or not

4. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    Well the cards perform really well in SLI. Its just some games i play experience micro stutter or frame latency which can be annoying at times. Just wanted to get a outside opinion regarding the matter.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    if you can sell the 560ti for decent money and then buy a hd 7950/gtx 670 without a loss I'd say go for it. you'll have about the same performance but more vram and none of the occasional sli issues. and it won't cost anything.

6. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
  7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    this is mine with my everyday oc

[​IMG]

so there you go, slightly better performance. more vram. If I was you I'd put those 560ti on ebay on buy now that would cover a new gpu. this way you're not loosing money. performance will be pretty much the same, slightly better with a hd 7950/gtx 670.

8. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    Hmm interesting problem is finding someone to buy my cards. Gonna do some more research and get back to you guys.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    my 580`s can do this
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5524693
    stronger than any single amd, nvidia single high end card except for the titan, but newer games required more vram than I had 1.5gb, I had to start making more comprimises in the eye candy dept. than I was comfortable with. so I upgraded. what you think its microstuttering may be in fact running out of vram and chugging

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

11. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    I have doing some research and been looking at the 2GB ATI 7870 LE card. Would this be worth upgrade or a waste of time. or would i be better off with a 7950 or 7970?

12. Master&Puppet

Master&Puppet Guest

GPU:
    2x 7950s
    Well they are all based on the same Tahiti PCB i.e. they are all great cards. With AMD and the xfire micostutter issues at the moment I recommend that you buy the single best card that you can afford...if you are unhappy with your current SLI setup.

You'll have to hurry with getting the 7870XT though - they are limited edition and going out of stock everywhere. I personally went for 7950s this time last year and have been very happy with my purchase.

So yea 7970>7950>7870XT. Get the best you can afford but make sure it has a 3rd party cooler on it. The reference design is loud.

13. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    Been thinking it over some more and i think ill wait for the next gen cards before i upgrade. My cards are doing justice at the moment so there is not real need now that ive thought about it. I will upgrade if one of the cards dies though.

Thanks all

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    nah, you have the upgrade itch already, it's not going away :)

15. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    LoL ye thats true. I see all these nice cards on guru3d and they haunt me, will just have to suck it up and hold out until the next gen arrives and i see performance figures. I told myself id upgrade every second generation, since upgrading every year is just to expensive.

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Same with me too i want to upgrade my GPU but i am holding back for the next gen/refresh of Nvidia or AMD/Radeon and i always buy the most powerful single card solution available at a reasonable price (TITAN!!!) i had the money to go for a GTX680 but i felt that something was not right low bandwidth and only 2gb of ram compared to the HD 7970's 3gb with higher bandwidth and not being able to max out a few current titles with 60fps minimum.I think it will be worth the wait till near the end of the year when hopefully the next refresh of kepler or Amd are released with more mature drivers of their current architecture.As you have already stated i think it's wise to keep your gpu's and wait.

17. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I agree 100%.
    I wanted to buy TiTAN so bad:D, but in my country it costs like 1100Euros(more or less) if u can find it, so i decided to wait.

On topic: I also feel like the 670FTW/7950 it's a great choice considering performance against 560SLi and i believe the 670FTW it's on par with 480SLI setup(Loophole35's 3Dmark score of 10227 compared to my own score of 10413 ).

18. Cyrax

Cyrax Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti gamer SLI
    Once you have the upgrade ich...youre f###
    My gtx 580 sli played fine but just couldn resist for a killer titan setup :)

19. Cromat

Cromat Guest

GPU:
    To be honest i have had my eye on the MSI 670GTX Power Edition OC http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N670-PE-2GD5-OC.html

And i can buy PC stuff at cost price. But its still expensive regardless