Why are professional photographers so afraid to admit it's mostly their equipment

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by death_samurai, Jan 13, 2015.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Camera equipment is like driving different vehicles. Even a crap driver can drive a Ferrari fast, just they make not be able to make the most of it's sportiness. This is like a noob using a professional camera, you could still take great shots, but they won't be as good as if a professional driver (professional photographer) could do. Even on an $80 point and click camera, the professional photographer is capable of taking better shots than the noob, just like a professional driver can drive a crap car better than a typical driver. Think of Top Gear, the time set by the Stig (a professional driver) in their 'reasonably priced car' is much faster than anyone else simply because he/she has the skills to drive it better.

2. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    A car analogy, huh? Why didn't I think of it before?

Thank you for your well-written comparison.

3. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    3 photos that prove that being in the right place at the right time and/or being able to tell a story in a photo are by far the most important things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. StevePMo

StevePMo Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 6950 2 GB
    People have been taking great photos for years, LONG before auto focus, auto exposure, digital cameras, photoshop..the list goes on and on. You have to know what you are doing to get a good shot, regardless of what gear you have.

5. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    A bit like my analogy on post 21 (over a year ago).

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    :D
    It comes all down to brain to fingers, same goes for doing good photos, regardless of how much the tools cost, there are some technical specs that can do a difference though, which you are sure to find with more expensive gear.

Besides that, some $100 guitars will make them sound as good, remember what Eddies original guitar was? ^^
    Not to mention that some expensive guitars aren't up to the build quality they should have.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Professional photographers these days rely too heavily on photoshop to make pictures look "great". To me, photoshopped images never look as good as the raw image...

I used to have a friend that was a professional photographer. He worked for a modeling agency and a well known nature publication. He hated being forced to use Photoshop, even though he was extremely good with it. He always said that Photoshop makes images look fake...

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    They do, making models thinner, larger, shorter, taller, having bigger breasts, etc...

9. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I disagree.
    Photoshop can make photos looks as good or bad as the user wants them to (depending on source material).
    Photo manipulation is not a new thing, it's been done for decades. I used to do it in the 80's and 90's with dodging and burning and cropping and multiple exposures and messing around with colours etc.
    Yes you can make a photo look fake, but that is up to you knowing when to stop.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That photo is manipulated.

The Earth has been flipped 180 degrees.

11. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
  12. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I aim my phone *click /done. I don't have time to care.

13. Quakeme666

Quakeme666 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060
    Once you know the basics listed many times above. Then you will see most "good" gear as you call it, allows a experienced photographer to spend more time planing how and what to shoot. Mastering this is what makes you a Great photographer. Knowing what gear allows you to speed hack to get the effect your after. I do tech support for DNP a Dye-sub Photo Printer Co. I speak to many photographers who only know they have great gear and don't know Sh*t about color or lighting. Most are not like that.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Totally depends on what you're taking photos of.

Also, about Photoshop making photos look fake. Let me tell you that most photos are "photoshopped". Even if for adjusting curves, resizing and sharpening up, after some cropping. There's nothing wrong with using Photoshop.

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    A car analogy that completely fails. Put Lewis Hamilton (or insert any F1 driver, or Stig, or anyone) in the reasonably priced car and I'll beat them all day long driving a Porsche 911, for example.

16. Stickynote

Stickynote Guest

GPU:
    Iris Pro/128Mb
    There is nothing wrong to use Photoshop, just don't overuse it. I think a really good photo doesn't need an intensive retouch.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It's not just that there's nothing wrong with photoshop, it's often necessary. Say when you're reducing a photo, a quick sharpen up to make up for the loss of detail due to resizing etc.

18. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    you know what they say, you can't polish a turd

photoshop won't save bad lighting, composition and boring subjects

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Of course not, I don't think anyone is saying that.

20. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    It's a bit like asking - why are professional gamers so afraid to admit it's mostly their gaming gears, or why do professional musicians so afraid to admit it's mostly their instruments.

bballfreak6 likes this.