Evidence of MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 &/or RTSS 6.5.1 breaking Freesync

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Michael Freeman, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Freeman

Michael Freeman Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gig
    Hi,

I've had a long standing problem with Freesync that I only just narrowed down to what looks to be a bug/conflict between Afterburner and/or RTSS and AMD Freesync (Crimson driver 17.3.2).

I was using Afterburner to display FPS and various system info, GPU temp, CPU temp and so forth using the on screen display in game. Freesync is now working after stopping the use of MSI Afterburner. FRAPS does not interfere with Freesync as MSI seems to.

I troubleshooted using the AMD Windmill Freesync Demo and found ...

1. With MSI loaded Freesync WOULD work @ 60fps in the demo but NOT in game @ 60hz.

2. With MSI loaded .@ 75 hz (my screen is rated 47 - 75 for Freesync) the demo would NOT work and in game would also NOT work.

3. Even though the demo showed Freesync partially working (@ 60fps) I could never get Freesync to work in any games. Everything would always be tearing.

Because I just got an R9 380 with vastly improved thermal profile I no longer need to use MSI. I am now using HWINFO to report all info to a laptop and FRAPS for fps counter. All my games now work with Freesync. It was MSI that was the problem.

There's a chance that it was the RTSS frame limiter, or more likely RTSS than Afterburner (just an instinct not proven).

So after dropping MSI/RTSS I started using the AMD Crimson drivers to keep the fps at 75.

So there's definitely something at issue here and it seems to be a conflict between MSI/RTSS and AMD Freesync.

Can anyone confirm this ?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm wondering what are you, guys, trying to achieve by giving such names to the threads and posting such content instead of simply asking "how do I configure it?". The only achieved thing in reality is that you get into developer's ignores list.
    It is not a wise idea at all to enable two framerate synchronization/limiting techniques simultaneously and expect both to work. It is twice not a wise idea to get it as evidence of MSI AB breaking something then declaring that you don't need it. MSI is not a problem in your case. Your activity is. Thread is closed, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.