Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Anarion, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    So, anyone tested the new spatial sound options introduced in Creators Update?
    [​IMG]
    Dolby Atmos isn't actually free. I haven't manage to get either to work. Might be some kind of driver incompatibility with Sound Blaster Zx... It could be interesting alternative to SBX since the headphone out is just too loud for my headphones. It's also not possible to get headphone optimised SBX form line out which is annoying.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I noticed this too i have not tried it though

I have pair of Sennheiser RS175, I Cant say I fan of fake surround it uses but it has more then 1 option for unlike the RS170 it replaced,

and what you mean Dolby Atmos isnt free. the app lists it as such

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Dolby Atmos for headphones isn't. There's one day free trial but it cost 15 € if I remember the price correctly.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The trial is 30 days, I gave it an try my self and so far I liking it, but only in games that let you select the speaker count, Games where it looks at the window speaker setting, not so well. so it works very good in diablo 3, but when I try an game without the option, it works OK, More so without the Virtual 7.1 box checked. I notice it lot more in diablo 3 animated cut scenes.

I found window sonic to work well to in the same style, At least those on external dac amps now have an option to use , without having to use razer surround or use an sound card just for the function.

But I was hoping DH atmos for headphones was free, Since the speaker mode for it is. If they update it to let you set the speaker count in windows, instead of it turning off when you do. It would be an nice addition to windows.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I guess they changed it to 30 days since that wasn't the case when I tried it. So far I haven't managed to get either to work though.

EDIT:
    Actually I did get Windows Sonic to work. However, it limits audio format to 16 bit 48 kHz. It does actually seem to do really nice job. It does kinda beat the purpose that it forces Windows CP to 2.0.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i not paying for that. MS is got money out there ass they lest they can do is pay for Dolby digital license so getting DD on PC isnt choir of user hacks.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If your sound card supports Dolby Headphone (Xonar cards do), then I assume there's no reason to pay for the Atmos thing.

8. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    How to Enable Windows Sonic for Headphones the right way in Windows 10 Creators Update
    1. Go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound then Sound
    2. Hook up your 3.5mm headphone jack to your 5.1ch/7.1ch audio port on the back of PC.
    3. Go to Speaker, Configure then pick the last 5.1ch then next, next then finish.
    4. Go to Spatial Audio & pick Windows Sonic for Headphones & make sure 7.1ch is check then ok.
    5. Start game & you going to hear 7.1ch is enable now in Windows Sonic.

Dolby Atmos for Headphones App does everything for you, you only have to do is pick Spatial Audio, Dolby Atmos for Headphones & hit ok, then you going to get a demo videos to test the sound.

True but there a free trial you can test if Dolby Atmos is for you & I love it better then Windows Sonic because the Bass & Treble are great on Philips SHP9500S, iMAX like sound.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. Clovis559

Clovis559 Guest

GPU:
    1080 SLI
    I've played around with Atmos a lot recently. I have a Surround 5.1.2 setup with a Yamaha RX-760. (I'd post a link but you have to have 5 posts :p)

My experience with the Atmos for headphones is much difference. I've never actually got it to work, though I'm curious as to what was said above about Diablo 3. I would like to try that. As far as Atmos content, I've never gotten anything to work except the Dolby Access Demo. Atmos movies don't work, games, etc. I think that it is just early in stages, and we're all a little too excited. Perhaps in time.

If you're having problems with it, a lot are since they recently updated it. If they get it working with Atmos titles/movies/games... It would be better then what the Xonar cards provide, since it will have support for height channels.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Both work ok here, didnt hear much difference between sonic and dolby., Maybe it had more bass and tiny better spatial enhancement.

For music its bad though Xfi own 3d sounds better here.

It also reset to 48/16 the first time, but I switched back to 96/24 and now its sticking.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    gathering sonic is poor mans dolby headphones?

I by default set my card to 24bit/48k i dont hear diffidence from that to 24/96k

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I mean this dolby atmos sounded maaybe a bit more bassy and spatial, but minimal. I switched back and forth while listening to winamp and for music sonic almost sounded better, but by games dolby atmos.

I tested like so: headphones mode - xfi css3d + this virtual 7.1

Shame its just a 30day trial.

I didnt hear any real difference between 24/96 vs 24/48 either, but I'm using 24/96 because its possible on my SB without any issues. My old xfi pci had some issues with it, but this xfi hd np :)

EDIT: Ok, I looked again and it really only works at 16/48. When I reopen speaker properties its back to 16/48.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  13. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Been testing both, Dolby Atmos is a tad better for games due to better Treble & Bass & Sound round sound then Windows Sonic but Sonic has has Mild Bass & Mild Treble & Less Sound round sound then Atmos but make it up in the vocal voice part which sound better then Atmos vocal voice.

I have mix feelings with both but Philips SHP9500S love Dolby Atmos due of the Treble & Bass. more testing still being done to see if Atmos is really worth $15.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just tried sonic with my head phones and I heard no difference, I can tell you this much I hear instance diffrence in my headphones when use it internal virtual surround. And I hear instant difference in my headphones when use dolby home theater built in to my audio drivers.

Now my headphones use same audio stream my 2.1 speakers use I should hear instant change in both 2.1 speakers and my headphones when using sonic, there i no difference onlyl. so for me it dont seem to work.

15. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You got to set the channel to 5.1ch mode in Playback Config in Windows for Windows Sonic & Dolby Atmos to work. also I do know that Dolby Access app when testing Dolby Atmos video demos use 2.5gb of internet data :eek3:.

I wait until there a new update that fix bugs with the software & app until then I stick with the 26 day left over trial.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If I put it in 5.1 mode what exactly do I need it to be simulate surround for. so that makes no sense to me.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The problem with that, as soon you turn on either one, it sets the speakers back to stereo from 5.1. So it forces Stereo speaker setting when you try.Granted I not using it with onboard, but my Sound blaster zxr. But that what it been doing, when I tried to config the windows speaker settings.

I only been able to change the speaker settings from within games that offer you the option to pick the type of speakers your using.

18. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Because that is how Dolby Atmos & Windows Sonic was program for, it need Windows to be in 5.1ch mode in order for the software encode in realtime 5.1ch signal to 7.1ch signal then back to the Headphone.

when you playing a 2.0ch source, the software encode as best as it can to 7.1ch since it lack 5.1ch signal since it's only using 2.0ch signal giving you fake 7.1ch.

Razor Surround Software enable 7.1ch in Windows & the software does the rest giving you 7.1ch in your headphones.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it does nothing I switch to 5.1 and soon as put sonic on it switch right back to 2.1 speakers set. so for me it does nothing

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It resets to 2.0 when selected in my case. Audio format changes to 16 bit 48 kHz too.