Mantle in January?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by ASLayerAODsk, Jan 23, 2014.

?

Will we see Mantle in January?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2014.
  1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. No

105 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Who's Mantle, and does she have a sister?

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    its already the 23rd....:)

2. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Guest

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    Of course, or it would be a huge mess.

3. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I don't think so. And I don't blame AMD for that but Frostbite. It became recently known that Frostbite is no longer DICE. They are there own entity. This in my mind make it more difficult to patch BF4 to support Mantle. Its coming for sure with Thief and other games and 1 month or 2 is not a problem.

4. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    even when it does appear, Im guessing I'll get maybe...2-3% increase out of it...IF that. Cause there really isn't much more room than that with my setup, and even then, it's usually just an initial caching/buffering issue at the initial start of a map, more than anything. I already have my detail on MAX and 2560x1080, and im still topping out at 59-60fps, so really, where is there for me to go at this point?

5. Martix

Martix Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC 2Gb
    In January of the next year :rock:

6. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Guest

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    Yes thats right. But you would get 60 FPS instead of 59. Thats something isn't it?

7. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    You are so wrong. Monitor your cpu usage and gpu usage and you will see that there is a lot of room for performance. I have 50 cpu usage and 80/90 gpu. And the draw calls on some maps are dropping the performance to 60 fps. I am using a 144hz monitor. I want more fps.

8. PlsHelpMe

PlsHelpMe Guest

GPU:
    HD 8750m 2 GB
    Hes right, but you have a FX processor which is not as great as his Intel CPU so you will see a more huge FPS boost for sure. But for him, there will be no great FPS boost.

9. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    It's not all about performance. AMD has said in fact that the primary benefit of Mantle is that it allows for higher detail at the same performance cost, with additional raw performance being a secondary benefit. I expect the Mantle patch will come with some new graphics options.

Anyway, lucky you, but most people have plenty room for performance improvement in a demanding title like BF4 :)

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh c'mon .. nobody else wanted to know if Mantle has a sister?

11. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    You are correct. Less stuttering faster frame times, no need to ever update a driver for performance or support etc.... There so much good thinks about Mantle but all talk about fps. Fps doesn't matter. Having a faster frame times with 50fps matter.

12. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    Yep. I think things like "flip queue" and "pre-rendered frames" in AMD and Nvidia drivers respectively, and things like "onethreadframelag" in game engines are meant to even out frames in today's games, I'm guessing because today's graphics APIs aren't close to metal, and rely so much on software. Mantle reduces CPU overhead, and more directly accesses the GPU hardware - I'd be willing to bet Mantle games won't need so much frame buffering out of the box, and will therefore have less input lag, while simultaneously having smoother frames.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    well the ONLY stuttering Ive encountered since Ive joined the ranks of the Elite PC Master Race, are from CPU Parking and the removal of such behavior. Now Im sailing smooth as silk :)

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    We shouldn't depend on Mantle to remove some of our bottlenecking in our PC's. Get a good enough CPU and overclock. Mantle might not come ever by the rate this is going. So many good stuff about mantle but in the end doesn't matter cause we can't use it yet. I think AMD can sort of like sue Dice/EA. We as gamers can get a bit impatient. Just look at Wach Dogs there was a huge fuzz about it and now it was delayd and not a word because they know that will piss people off. With Mantle they just kept on throwing it in our faces. They even have Demos of BF4 with mantle and now Dice employees said on twitter how amazing is it plaing on 180fps. This is really not helping at all just makes us as gamers more pissed and not wanting to have anything to do with AMD. This was my first year with AMD and not a very good one. My GTX570SLI system was a beast. yeah i admit was slower than AMD cards I have now but every game worked with it without any issues. And when Nvidia said something they Deliver or even better, they deliver without even mentioning anything.

15. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    There are a lot of thinks that will make a game to stutter. Like shaders loading (see Deus Ex) etc.. I am very sensitive to stuttering and I hate it in games as it brakes the immersion and a lot of the times its not up to your system if you experience it or not. The one think that I am really exited with Mantle is the no need to wait from the GF maker to make drivers for a game. Its all up to the developer.

16. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The software must keep up(compliment) with the Hardware. You can not improve only one way. We have so much prepossessing power in our PC today that's is not used due to software limitations. My card has 2.9 TFLOPS of power. How much of this performance is used in BF4? Not a lot and the reason is the software.

Take BF4 on ps4, it can do 60 fps on a 7870 like gpu with a CPU clocked at 1.6. I play on 1080p with 4.3cpu and 7950 all settings low with medium textures and I some times drop to 60 fps on a 64 server.

Of course we can not depend on Mantle but someone has to do something and AMD is in the position with their APU's, consoles that uses APU's to do it. Why not.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    yes...anyway Mantle should scale to all the available cores (differently from how Directx acts...) in addition to avoiding bound, so I'm not sure that the percentage of increase in performance is so low for CPUs which are already powerful compared to APU or others ... no developer has ever said such a thing, I've only seen people making assumptions on the forums...only benchs can state that, so we have to wait...
    then, it should also mean more details (in case) and smoother animation, i can't wait to see how it behaves in Crossfire... :)

18. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    4:15:2

wow..is confidence ever LOW with Mantle :) interesting to see so far..:)

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The misinformation....

Do you realize how an API works to boost performance? Where did you get your numbers from?

If it wouldn't benefit you because you run 2560x1080 @ 60Hz capped at 60FPS, it would benefit others.

That's not the point...

CPU and GPU usage are irrelevant and do not show how efficient the API in usage is. You might have CPU usage at 99% and GPUs at 95%, doesn't matter.

Intel CPUs are bottlenecking in BF4 as well, seeing 90%+ CPU usage.

What?... no need to update?

Also, 50FPS = 20ms frametimes. How would you have faster frametimes in general without your FPS going up?

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    what was mantle again?