10.1 and higher driver install fail

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mikivr, Apr 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    Hi, i've a big problem with catalyst driver or my pc.
    I'm having an issue installing anything newer than the 9.12 driver sets. 9.12 works great, no problems whatsoever, full fan/overclocking control via CCC, no issues in games, no problems in general at all.
    But, when upgrading to 10.1, .2, .3, pc hangs at the windows logo screen after a reboot.

What I've tried:

Uninstalled via the CCC Install Manager, rebooted and installed

Uninstalled via the CCC Install Manager, rebooted to safe mode, run Driver Sweeper, reboot to Windows, install

MSI p35 neo2-fr, E6750 no oc, 4gb corsair xms, corsair vx550 watt, audigy2, xfx hd5770 xxx, monitor asus vk22h.

Thanks for any information.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    i cant get anything to work past 10.1. 10.1 works. if i try higher. i get a black screen when windows 7 starts up OR "out of range error". it stays at the error or black screen forever.

it seems u and me have "Engineering samples" of our cards. According to what people on this forum are saying.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can imagine how annoying that is.

Have you tried installing in Administrator mode (right-click on installer then Run as Administrator)?

Since the drivers are installing but it's hanging on reboot, maybe it's something to do with the various CCC files that boot up with Windows? Have you tried either disabling all of them using MSConfig or even just installing the drivers WITHOUT the CCC or any of the other optional extras?

Speaking of disabling startup programs, have you considering disabling everything non-Microsoft/Windows related using MSConfig to see if it isn't just some conflict with something you're running in the System Tray? You can then re-enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Finally, I've heard from others that Driver Sweeper should not normally be used to clean out ATI drivers as it can cause problems.

4. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    Sorry for my bad english e thanks for the answers.

I tried only driver not ccc.
    I installed in administrator mode.
    To remove old drivers ati (x1900xt) i used driver sweeper, perhaps this the problem.

When there are the 10.4 i try disabling everything non microsoft windows.
    I think my cars isn't a "Engineering samples".

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010

5. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    The problem is my monitor asus vk222h, if i use my old monitor acer al1916w the catalyst 10.x works.
    There is a fix for this problem?

6. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    I've found a temporary fix. If i use a dvi/vga adpater and a vga cable the catalyst 10.x works. Maybe a a incompatibility with monitor asus vk222h.
    Now i hope a fix from ati.

7. Quellcore

Quellcore New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5850 1 GB DDR5
    Hi all, i was searching for a solution myself because i had the same symptons.
    Nothing after 9.12 would work, only the evil blank screen on Reboot.
    None of the search result seemed to fit my scenario until i found this thread which fits like a glove.
    I think you pinned it down, the monitor might be it since i have the same one.
    What is almost funny is the fact that i also have an ASUS build of the 5850 (no Engineering Sample) so two ASUS products that don't like each other.

What OS are you on btw.? (Did i overlook this one?)
    Here its Win XP Pro 32-Bit.

Regards,
    Quellcore

8. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. You solve using vga cable and dvi/vga adapter?

9. Quellcore

Quellcore New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5850 1 GB DDR5
    So far i solved it by reverting back to Catalyst 9.12 (DD only, no CCC).
    Your workaround sounds promising, i haven't tried it yet. I'm just not too psyched to use analog Signal transfer.
    Is your workaround only required for the installation or is it a permanent hack?

Did you try if a HDMI connection would help?
    I'll try that and report back. I have a HDMI port on my Video Card, but i usually use it for the secondary display hookup (Plasma TV).
    I'd rather loose my secondary display option than using the analog Signal transfer.

Regards,
    Quellcore

10. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    The monitor works only with vga cable with catalyst higher than 9.12. I'll try today with hdmi cable.
    Sorry for my bad english.

11. Quellcore

Quellcore New Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH5850 1 GB DDR5
    Hi all back again,

I just tried HDMI connection through a DVI to HDMI Converter hooekd up to the Monitor.

After 4 Months of countless tries i was finally able to update my catalyst driver, i cannot believe it.

Thanks to mikivr for pointing me in the right direction, i would have never guessed that it could have to do with the video connection type.

Regards,
    Quellcore

12. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    Thanks, after i'll try with hdmi connection without adpater.

13. mikivr

mikivr New Member

GPU:
    xfx hd5770 xxx
    10.5 fix the problem?