Asus Strix 7.1 headphone review found.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ESlik, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No, just no.
    There is no way that Asus even knows what the headphone sound problem looks like; unlike Phillips, Harman etc etc.
    These big boys have hundreds of educated and non-educated testers, I doubt Asus knows what the proper blind procedure looks like.
    This is like buying Logitech 5.1/7.1...

What should a headphone sound like?
    You wouldn't believe how complicated it is to answer that question. The problem, in a nutshell, is this: put a calibrated measurement microphone in front of an ideal speaker and measure the frequency response and you get a flat line. Stick your head where that calibrated mic was and look at the signal at your ear drum and what you get is far from a flat line. Boundry gain from your torso adds a bit of mid-range energy; the shape of your pinnae act to amplify signal between roughly 2kHz and 5kHz; and ear canal resonances make minced-meat of the highs.

And it gets worse....

http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...tant-headway-understanding-headphone-response

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I use headphones for gaming only. I have a few sets of 5.1/ 7.1 analog and USB headphones right now and I prefer a true surround headphone with multi speakers. In my experience, there is a better and more precise positional awareness with muti speaker surround sound cans. Granted,most multi speaker headphones are crap for music but for gaming I really do prefer the multi speaker solution.

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    ESlik.. The 2nd I saw it was usb,all interest gone! You know that usb crap..is crap! Stick with your Phoebus and Tiamat.. Don't like curiosity kill the cat. Trust me,you will waste your money and not be happy with it. I know you are still searching for the holy grail of headphones,but your setup is the best you can get right now. I like my Kave 5.1's ,but I honestly use my DT770's more.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    they will suck for music, as you said. they will also suck for audio quality in general, seeing as they use multiple speakers that are small and of lesser quality, compared to audiophile headphones.

They might produce more accurate positional awareness (which I doubt, but let's say they do) and that might become a selling point when you play competitively. Otherwise, I'd go for sound quality over positional. Any day. To each their own, though.

BTW, I still believe that a large 50mm or so driver is more capable of delivering positional accuracy than a tiny driver.

Kaves are vom. That's why.

6. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Clapper,they aren't bad. I like the vibration units in the kave's. To each their own. It just depends how I feel on which headset I use. I haven't even been using a headset for a long time. Just use my Z5500's.

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    What you guys are saying is correct. I am fully aware of the pros and cons as mentioned. Goat is right about my looking for the holy grail headphones. eclap is right about the quality of multi speaker headphone drivers. The quality of smaller speakers is getting better and better. At some point,they will be good enough for high quality sound in gaming. On the brighter side,I really don't waste money on all the crap I buy. I have brothers and friends with kids that game so I end up giving most of my stuff to them. I know it all goes to a good home. That said,I think I'll wait for some user reviews on the Strix before I dive in and buy them. Thanks guys.

8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Asus makes great headsets, i've owned the Asus ROG Vulcan's and the sound is stunning. :gape:

I actually found a pair of Asus Strix Pro's tonight online second hand wich is brand new in box.

Seller already respnded and accepted my 65 euro's!! :D

That's so cheap, i hope i'm not getting screwed over, though the seller has 9 years+ experience.

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Let us know what you think after you have them hooked up.

10. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Will do, seller shipped it this morning and it's arriving tomorrow afternoon. :D

I'd wanted to get the Roccat Kave XTD Stereo brand new, but my budget wouldn't allow it by 5 damn euro's lol.
    Tried emailing the shop but they wouldn't ship it for free.

11. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    If you're interested in Roccat surround,I would suggest the Kave 5.1s over the Kave XTD. They're a bit less money than the XTD,and sound quite a bit better as well. Looking forward to you're review of the Strix.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I just looked at prices, Kave 5.1's are 80-90 euro as the Kave XTD is 77-80 euro.

Their also out of my price range.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Stay away from the Kaves, they're terrible. New HyperX Cloud II is out now, maybe worth looking into? Unless it's out the budget.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Yeah out of my budget, but i already bought Asus Strix Pro's for 65 euro wich was right at my budget.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I got em, and used them for a few hours, and woow are they comfortable!!

Even tho they are massive it's very lightweight.

The sound is really good, but sadly the bass isn't much there and had to use bass boost@60hz +9db but now have to max the volume.

I'll be putting in my old sound card tomorrow when my 580 gets here and see if i can this thing louder.

16. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    A sound card should be a big help. What sound card?

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Just a cheap Audigy SE i got for 10 euro.

EDIT: With the soundcard in headphones can get much louder now with bass boost enabled and it sounds much better now. :banana:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015