Remote controls on PC...

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by homerpez, May 3, 2007.

1. homerpez

homerpez Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3650 / 4890
    I'm eager to, maybe, get the remote that came with my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive to work on my PC, and I hope someone can get me started...

This is the remote in question: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360universalremote/

I guess I need the story from the very beginning... is there a cheap IR receiver available? Which one would I need? What port does it go into? (I notice my motherboard has a little, tiny plug for it, but didn't come with one)... not having much luck looking for a low-cost option.

Thanks in advance if someone knows all about this, and can get things rolling (I can't be the only person who wants to do this)

:bunch: ​

2. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    The comlicated part will be software to actually utilize the remote.

google up using the wii remote with your pc, chances are you can use the program they use for that project to "program" your computer to recognize the remote.

However they have only gotten a few functions working.

Honestly your best bet is one of those software packages that are made to do this that come with a remote/reciever/software.

You can also do it via blue tooth. I played around with my cell phone and PC for awhile and had winamp working from commands from my cell phone, thats easy since you can use any blue tooth reciever and they are cheap too.

3. homerpez

homerpez Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 3650 / 4890
    I guess there's always E-Bay for the fancy remote for the Xbox... :kermit:

I know there's tons of other packages out there, just was hoping to make the most of my already phenomenal $200 purchase... HD-DVD AND a remote...

Aw well, maybe I can make a few bucks :smoke:

4. greengiant

greengiant Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    from a quick glance at the page it looks to be compatible with the MCE remote

you can probably find just the receiver on eBay, or you can try ordering a replacement receiver from MS

if you feel like the engineering type you can actually buy the chips and make an IR board that is compatible with the MCE remote software.

A lot more work, more so if you don't have any experience with such projects, but it would probably only cost a few dollars. If you feel up to it let me know I'll find a link to the info

5. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    just get a m$ mce2005 remote and receiver (usb) pack.
    Works with XP but more functions with XPMCE or Vista.

You wont regret.

6. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    ***edit***
    [​IMG]

sorry, i think the 360 receiver i posted before this edit is only for wireless (radio freq) devices. If the remote is Infrared, then i don't think it will work.

my bad.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007