Arma 3 - Developer Diary

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bohemia Interactive released a special Arma 3 developer diary video, providing more details on Tanoa - the new terrain featured in the upcoming Arma 3 expansion, which is scheduled for release in the ...

Arma 3 - Developer Diary

2. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've been waiting for this :D Might just take the day off ;)

3. AMDJoe

AMDJoe AMD rep

GPU:
    AMD
    Looks awesome! The only ArmA 3 DLC I have at the moment is the go karts. This expansion might get me playing ArmA 3 again and regularly. Looking forward to see what the community can do with this expansion!

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Czech Republic for Arma 2 was the best expansion imo.

But until they sort out the performance issues, netcode, super 100/100 enemy ai eyesight and their ability to see through solid objects, trees/foliage...Im going to pass on all things arma.

5. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Yeah release a expansion and never fix the performance issues however long later since
    launch and wasting 50$.

6. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    If you ever thought they would be resolved you were deluded, everyone has always known the engine is horse****e and the only thing that will help it is either a full engine rebuild or getting some DX12 implementation, which is likely in the future.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    For expecting a developer to support their product?

8. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I've played enough ARMA III and almost never had ANY performance issues. I even downsampled FHD at 114-125%! All things maxed with a little tweak here and there. Flying is smooth, walking is smooth, driving is smooth.

9. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    [​IMG]

Its easily one the worst optimized games on the PC.

10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    So ARMA 3 has a Crysis Island Total Conversion now?! :D

Edit - watched the video and WOW... With all the mod support available for ARMA 3, that map would be a killer base to build a Predator, Vietnam, Crysis, or related jungle type mod. Absolutely beautiful.

ARMA is cpu dependent due to the way the AI is singled threaded only. Plus the huge streaming map requires SSD or RAMDISKs, like GTA 4, to enable to run smooth. Bohemia did hinted DX12 may improve performance so we all are waiting to see what it can do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

11. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    They do "support" it and its a hell of a lot better than it was in beta, but its well known that the entire engine is seriously flawed and when the level of ill optimization runs that deep I have no expectation of the magic fix that some people seem to expect.

It's a shame but if someone bought in expecting serious performance increases it means they did not look up the history of the engine and the nature of Bohemia.

12. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    True, I've done enough troubleshooting for other people and had some issues, but those are solved, smooth for me :D Of course that doesn't change the fact that it has heaps of issues for others :bang:

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I honestly think Bohemia should focus more time on making more weapons and vehicles for the core game and improve the overall gameplay and remove all freaking d-sync/lag.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Looking at there studio, they don't seem well funded.

Maybe they can't afford good people that can help with performance etc.

15. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Oh please don't give me that self deluded Typical bohemia interactive White Night.There is no excuse to make a game that runs this poorly over this much Hardware as someone who has worked in 3D and a game studio and helped a few others i know you have a priority list and its gross incompetence to
    put performance at the bottom of the list when your product is on PC.

Anymore excuses Puppy dog?

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi:p

But yeah, Bohemia need to wind in their ambition on this series. They clearly cant handle games this big with out severely sacrificing stability. They spend far too much time touting "big square km mega game", rather than something thats playable, and imo the game just isnt fun to to play online with its performance issues.

Then theres the ai that can see through solid foliage and ark 7.5mm AK rounds from a bigillion miles away like they're mortars aaannnd hit you directly.

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    AI doesn't see through anything in A3. The old fan ported islands might have the issue, but stock A3 doesn't have that problem.

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    What you never heard of "eye in the sky"? :p

19. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    It does. It can see you miles away through dense foliage. The trees and shrubs etc seem to serve no purpose other than to populate the screen, while under the hood, they do not exist.

You can be lying prone behind some thick bush with an enemy station/encampment etc miles away staying completely out of sight, then all of a sudden, you're getting hit by direct and precise enemy fire.

I love arma, i love these sort of sims/games, but like even the smallest of them (Ghost and R6 series) the ai and technology just isnt there yet. Unless you're playing humans vs humans (which to be fair, is what the game is for) then theres no fun to be had. Just unfair and frustrating experiences.

Unless all systems and assets serve a real purpose and behave in a real world way (foliage providing visual cover for eg), then arma as a milsim is just another broken game.