From i5 2500k to i7 6700k or i7 5820k?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by riot83, Jul 12, 2015.

1. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well, I got impatient yesterday. I went and picked up an MSI X99S MPower motherboard and 16 gigs of Kingston Hyper X. Just got done installing Win 10 :banana:

Edits:

Just did a very modest OC with the OC Genie to 3.8 Ghz, need to replace my PSU first. Everything is running fine. I ran Aida64 stress test for a while and temps never got above 60(Kraken in silent mode, used NT-H1 instead of the preapplied paste). First time I heard my PSU fan turn on, ever :)

Did a quick run on 3dmark to see the Physics score on Firestrike. Even with the modest 3.8 Ghz OC, I got double my 2500k score.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    Gratz man. Enjoy the new rig.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Great choice, enjoy the new rig.

4. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Thanks, definitely enjoying it.

Now I got it running at 4.0 Ghz @ 1.2 volts.
    Here's a quick FireStrike run

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5567711

edit:

Heres another at 4.4 GHz(1.25 volts)

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7999872?

more edit(s):

So, I'm going to leave my CPU running at 4.2 GHz(1.15 volts). In Aida stress test temps stayed at 60 or below. Whenever temps got above that, the fan would ramp up a bit and temps would drop to 57. Rinse and repeat.

Or Should I try to tinker with the voltages a bit more to see if I can get it to what OC Genie sets it at(1.1 at 3.8GHz).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

5. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Here's a pic: [​IMG]

6. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Update: Changed my radiator from the back into the front of the case(push/pull). Idle temps dropped by 5 degrees Celcius and during full load(Aida 64 stress test) temps stay below 59. Thats @ 4.2 GHz and 1.15v. :banana:

7. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I'm curious if you noted any performance differences between setups?

8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Besides benchmarks(which it kills the 2500k), in GTAV and Watch_Dogs the performance is a lot better. I think the max frames are about the same but on average the 5820k is about 10 fps higher while driving in the city in GTAV, the 2500k would run at 100% cpu usage when the 5820k is around 30-50%. Watch_Dogs it isn't such a big of an improvement, maybe few fps higher but it doesn't dip down or stutter as much.

Those are the only two games I've tested that have shown improvement, then again I can't remember any other games that had my 2500k utilizing all cores at 100%.

In everyday use I really don't notice any difference. I really like it though, I like the BIOS and the options I can mess with, and it feels a lot smoother than the P67 UEFI. Not sure about half of the stuff though, had to clear the CMOS once :)

What really suprised me though was the Kraken X-41 and that it is actually a lot quieter than my previous Noctua NH-U9B SE2.

Edit: I think the BIOS load time is about the same on this as it was on the P8-P67 Deluxe

Edit 2: Coming from an i5 2500k it's easy to recommend any 2500k owner to upgrade now but I'm not sure you're getting that much of an upgrade for your money if you own an i7 2600k or newer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  9. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    Thanks for the info man! That's quite a difference in CPU load!

I wanted to ask why you went for 2133 RAM instead of higher frequency?

10. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well from what I've read, in day to day stuff the ram speed really doesn't matter, and it was the only ddr4 in the shelf :D

11. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I suppose opinions on that differ :) tests as well!

12. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Yeah, though I'll definitely get faster and more ram when the DDR4 prices drop more. Like I said, those were the only DDR4 ram on the shelf in the store when rest of my components arrived and I was too eager to get everything running. I didn't want to wait a few more days for an online order.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  13. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I hear you man, who could resist!

14. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well another update. I'm messing around trying to get the temperature down a bit more.

So I use the OC Genie in BIOS to OC. I go to Windows, its the usual 3.8 GHz @ 1.1 volts. The CPU idles at 28-30 degrees Celsius. Well, I go into BIOS and look at all the stuff the OC Genie has done. I turn it off and go back into BIOS. I set everything up just like OC Genie had setup(voltages, cpu ratio etc.). Well I get back into Windows and my CPU idle temp is at 36 degrees.(both are fixed at 38)

I've been messing around for an hour now and I just can't seem to match the OC Genie, or even get close. I don't know what the hell is keeping my temp so high compared to the OC Genie.

6 degree difference in idle temp at same ghz and voltages seems strange. Then again I can up the multiplier to 42 and voltage 1.15 and the temp doesn't change.

CPU core is at 1.1
    CPU SA volt 1.2
    rest auto(the values in auto seem same(at least in bios) during my tries and OC Genie.

those were the same settings in OC Genie.....so much to learn and test :bang:

So right now I'm using the OC Genie 3.8 GHz untill I can figure out myself what's keeping my temps up when I manually OC. I guess I value a few degrees lower temp compared to 400 mhz.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  15. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Finally did it. Looked into CPU settings. Changed long and short duration power limits, and one other value, can't remember what off the top of my head.

Now I'm running 4.3 GHz @ 1.2 volts(where I started at, might start trying to lower this). CPU idles at ~30 +-2 degrees Celcius. Full load(hour of Aida64 stress test) highest recorded core temp was 70, alway dropped when fans ramped up. CPU temp was showing 60 degrees.

Tried 4.4 @ 1.21 volts, but kept crashing during the stress test. Ill either start lowering the voltage at 4.3 or start upping it to see when I can get 4.4 stable.

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No Intel CPU is future proof as they keep adding or taking away pins in the CPU socket making new CPU's worthless for upgrading.

The 5820K is X99 LGA2011 and the 6700K is LGA1151 a mere 1 pin difference between the LGA1150 socket. No way Intel can say that DDR4 support requires 1 extra pin they are just simply trying to get people to upgrade their entire system.

17. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    And they want to sell their new high priced LGA-sockets to the motherboard manufacturers.

Edit: Also
    [​IMG]

18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I was in same situation, but I waited till Skylake benchmarks came out, and in games they suck, sometimes even worse then Haswell.
    So I also got me a 5820K system, with option to get the Broadwell-E when it comes out and sell my still on warranty 5820K so the whole upgrade wont cost me full price.

19. Erro

Erro Guest

GPU:
    GTX780, +140MHz
    Interesting, I was under the impression that 6700k was pretty decent in the newer games at least... I am curious what y'all findings are with 5820k, since I was faced with a similar decision and opted for 6700k. It's interesting to see what you're feedback is. :)

20. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I wouldn't hope for Broadwell-E to show up, to be honest, I think they will skip it.