vsync on, sometimes stuck on f'n 58.9 fps????!?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by robnitro, Feb 26, 2017.

1. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    RX 480 with latest crimson.

I can be playing games that use less than 30-40% gpu d3d, and sometimes will get vsync stuck at 58.9 -59 fps... instead of 60 fps which is my refresh rate. I have a second monitor on intel hd3000.

So annoying, I can close browser and all other apps and still it persists until reboot. What gives, windows 10 is so buggy with this crap- and nothing seems to reset it. Maybe AMD dropped the ball with this last catalyst??

2. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Possibly the vsync caps at 59FPS due to your screen being at 59HZ.
    I know it sounds stupid, but for example my screen supports 60HZ, 59HZ and 50HZ.
    And some games just use the 59HZ instead of the 60HZ, so vsync locks it to the 59FPS.
    IMO it's fine, as long as the vsync is capped at the refresh rate of the monitor, but for some reason if you are 100% sure that your HZ in those games are 60HZ and you are having 59FPS, in that case you will feel juddering all over the place.
    Cheers

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    59Hz isn't a real thing, as far as I understand. 60Hz is really 59.94, so sometimes you see it as 59.94 or 60.

4. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It is..
    I can show you my properties of the screen, it supports those 3 hz options.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It is. Sometimes refresh rates bug out with certain drivers and you get 59Hz and 60Hz (59.94Hz actual).

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Does this issue occur with the second monitor disabled? What refresh rate is the second monitor running?

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is an interesting can of worms we're opening here. I looked and 59.94Hz is part of the NTSC standard, which would make my original comment completely wrong. As far as I can see, my monitor does support both 59.94 and 60Hz, even if it won't explicitly state so in the firmware when I set it so.

Have you tried putting both monitors on the RX 480? Does the same happen then?

8. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    I found out it was Intel's fault. They write horrible software and drivers. My SRT response software is crap too.

Windows was set to 60 on both monitors, but the Intel crapdriverâ„¢ still said 59p inside it. I know 59 means 59.9xx but with 2 monitors active not at the same refresh, rivatuner fps was occasionally showing 58.9 fps, with reshade 3 showing an average of 59.45 fps.

Odd, thanks for the help!

9. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    Started happening again, I was confused! Then I found out that f.lux was doing it now. By changing the color/brightness slowly it was inducing stutter.

The fix for f.lux:
    Choose safe mode
    set the change in the window to be fast 20s.

So now it doesn't do a subtle slow change which makes lag, and when it changes it takes only 20s to complete.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    https://www.vsynctester.com/

Go there and let it detect your refresh rate. I'm sure you'll find it's 59.94Hz.

11. robnitro

robnitro Member

GPU:
    XFX RS RX 480 8gb
    It wasn't the refresh but f.lux.
    Cool test, I get 60.0002.... Hz display