GTX 980 SLI or GTX 970 SLI for and old system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Eralma, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Hello, I would like to take advantage of all the experts surrounding this site so I can get an opinion. Sorry if is not the place to. I have an old Asus Formula III (x58, PCI express 2.0) with an i7 990x OC to 4.3 Ghz and 12 G of RAM at 1600 Mhz, I am planning to get the Asus ROG Swift and given that the CPU is not the bottleneck but the PCI express 2.0 might affect performance, is it worth to sli 2 custom GTX 980 to feed the monitor with 120 FPS? Or it would be better to get 2 custom 970? or my system is too old for this monitor and GPU's? (sorry for my English, it’s not my native language :))

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Are you are running 1920x1080 120hz?

970SLI will max out nearly any game at 120fps, costs a lot less money, use less power and produce less heat than 980SLI.

The difference between PCIE 2 and 3 is probably 5% max.

No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

3. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks, I'm going to get the ASUS ROG SWIFT so it will be 2560x1440 at 120 hz with no AA, or maybe just FXAA and the idea is keep those cards for about 2 or 3 years. I haven't tried 120 hz and I worried that my board can not keep with those cards

4. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Thank you, so I guess it would be better to get the 980's for the long term, lets say 3 years... And yes I am planning to upgrade the CPU next year although I haven't see that it bottleneck, it may be the PCI 2.0 the main problem right?

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    PCI-E 2.0 x16 x16 will not be a bottleneck at all.

6. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    thank you Yasamoka, so no need to upgrade that board yet

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    The pci e 2.0 won't bottleneck you but the cpu may. Should be fine though. I would grab the cards.

8. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks TK, would do that

9. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Very sorry to revive this, but I am new here and I still don't have the 15 minimum posts to replay a private message that I just received, so I am posting the answer here.

This is to @Stevethegreat:

Hello, he he that's quite a coincidence! glad that I' am not alone in this matter.

I've doing some research and one thing that I want is to buy a couple of cards that last at least 3 years, I am not into buy a sell every year, in my country that would be very difficult.

So from what I have read I thing I am getting to a conclusion: the cpu it's not going to bottleneck, because of the 120 fps requirement, but our PCI-E 2.0 it's going to cost us a 5% give or take, so to compensate that, I think 2 customs 980's will be the right choice, remember that I want it to last 3 years. I

It's true that there is no much difference in performance between the 980 and 970 but I haven't spend a dime in GPUs in 4 years so I am going to spoil myself. I am waiting for reviews of the EVGA 980 FTW...

Yes we have a deal,please give me your thoughts on my plan :)

10. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Get a single card either one of the 2 you mention set the swift to 144Hz enable g-sync & be happy ;) .

11. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Really? one 980 will be enough to push 120 fps in BF4 at 2560x1440, ultra settings and no AA, for example?

12. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    According to Hilberts 970 review no... but it's still pushing 65fps with 2xMSAA. not bad for a single card at that resolution. For 120fps you'll need SLI 980's or 970's.

13. Eralma

Eralma Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 SLI
    Yes, I thought so, been reading those reviews, thanks for the answer.