Did my GTX 970 just go to GPU heaven?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fl2015, Feb 13, 2017.

1. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Playing fallout 4 last night my PC decided to reboot mid game followed by the fans of death (100% gpu fan no display), I've tried nearly everything to get it working from cold boots, checking cables, re-seating stuff, minimal booting etc but no luck.

The only time the fans don't spin madly and the card is recognized if I actually remove the PCI-E cables to force it into it's "no power" mode, from there I do get the "insert power cable" message and using the igpu I can actually flash the card so the cards EPROM works fine at least also the cards temperature control seems to work. If I try booting again after that with the PCI-E cables back in with the igpu the card is not recognized at all and it's back to 100% fan.

I've tried different GPU in the slot which works fine although it's only an ancient 9600 GSO that doesn't have the PCI-E cables to test them out. As for the PSU I've actually ordered a gold rated silverstone one a few days ago before all this happened which is taking it's sweet time getting here (which is kind of ironic if the old one ended up blowing my GPU before then) so hopefully I will be able to see if changing power helps.

Anyone got any ideas or should I chuck the thing in the bin and order a gtx 1060/rx 480?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Well the last thing to do is see if it works in another PC.

Sounds dead though and you can't verify that unless you do above.

3. EnvymeRT

EnvymeRT Guest

could be a few things ..... same thing has happened to me and never was the video card. One time it was the Mobo , other time it was the PSU.

4. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Well as stated I did try an old 9600 gso in there just to see if it works and no problem with that so the PCI-E slot is working at least.

Anyway I've just bit the bullet and asked amazon for a refund (as palit doesn't do end user RMA) and they've accepted it for the full amount.

I'm now thinking GTX 1070 rather than 1060...

5. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    It could still be the PSU, hope it's just the card if you're already returning it.

6. EnvymeRT

EnvymeRT Guest

Ah I didn't realize you got into windows with the 9600. Could be the cables for the video card. AS I have never had a card just take a crap like that. Most likely it is the card, but could also be the beginning of the end for the PSU.

7. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Well I'm getting a new PSU as soon as CCL actually ship it to me (ordered it thursday still waiting for them to get the orders in) so I can test again then before I send the card back. The tx 750 is getting old and I used a basic PSU tester on it before a few times just to check for any oddities and it seemed OK however that doesn't take account for any ripple or how it performs on load, without proper equipment that's just a guess game.

Hopefully new PSU + new GPU after refund all will be solved.

8. EnvymeRT

EnvymeRT Guest

O 100% will with a new PSU and Video Card

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    The card is in heaven, may his spirit rest in peace.

Did you try the card on another computer ? That is the only way to know. Hope your under warranty if not then your out of luck my friend. gl :banana:

10. fl2015

fl2015 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Update: I'm 99% convinced it might of been the power supply that killed off the card, I was using the system and I heard a knocking noise every few seconds. First thought it might be the AIO leaking, so I checked that and it seemed fine so I had to trace where the knock was coming from. Eventually I found out it was the two hard drives, both of them were giving a knock/click every 5 seconds, these HDD's were actually planned on being replaced next week with a single 2TB before all this happened as they clocked 55000 power on hours each but I tested them individually to see which one was dodgy.

Both times I booted them up individually there was no knocking sound but as soon as I tried them together again it started which led me to believe it isn't a dodgy HDD but rather there is a power issue. I also tried the card again with a very minimal setup (no HDD's/fans etc) and still the same behavior I'm 100% convinced the GPU chip itself is toast.

On the plus side CCL have actually shipped the new power supply should be here tomorrow, also the card refund has appeared in my bank account and I immediately ordered an EVGA SC GTX 1070 Black Edition off amazon and that arrives tomorrow.