Hi! Just trying to figure out best 4k color options for quality?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by savannahmick, Dec 10, 2015.

1. savannahmick

savannahmick Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC GTX1060
    What space are most of you using with your $k monitors (RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, or YCbCr 4:2:0? I am using a LG ub8500 49" 4K, Smart, 3d tv as my monitor and I love it but so many different setups/choices/options in NVCP and Expert settings on my TV. I am not new to gaming but I am new to 4K so any ideas on the best quality setup or settings would be great or heck any advice on 4K at all! Thanks!!!
    ( I did want to say the folks who say that 4k isn't that big of a difference than 1080p are crazy cause the level of detail and even the font looks so much better to me!)

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    tAssuming that TV DOESN'T compress color at all - in any part of the display chain (processors and actual, physical panel) - You'd want RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4. Those don't compress the color information at all... like what you'd get with a computer monitor. But if you feed the TV a RGB signal, that's one less operation the video processor has to do since the panel is fed by and RGB signal. But, the video processor might only operate in YCbCr. So it could vary well go RGB in -> YCbCr processing -> RGB to panel. In that case, sending a TCbCr might have less latency. But it really shouldn't matter in terms of image quality.

The difference between RGB and YCbCr doesn't really matter when it's 4:4:4 YCbCr. Mathematically, you can switch between the two with no loss.

4:2:2 is half the horizontal color information, but keeps all of the vertical color resolution (the color component is therefore "squeezed" thin and the video processor has to scale it back to normal)

4:2:0 is half the horizontal and half the vertical color resolution. The video processor/ renderer has to scale both dimensions back up. ALL HDTV and Blu-ray signals (consumer video) is like this.

Luminance (black and white component) is always native resolution.

What the UHD spec is doing right now? I don't really. But I think it's still going to be 4:2:0.

If your Blu-Ray or Roku or Apple TV or etc. has a better "chroma processor" than the one in the TV, send the TV an RGB or 4:4:4 YCbCr signal.

If you have a junky Blu-Ray player or Streaming Device, send it a 4:2:0 YCbCr (the native format of the encoded video) and let the better chroma processor in the TV handle the color conversion to full resolution.

These details aren't really published or tested that much, so just do some tests and see which one is better... if you can even tell.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015