Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Old
  (#176)
D3M1G0D
Master Guru

Videocard: 2 x EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Mainboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac
Memory: G.SKILL Flare X 32GB DDR4
Soundcard:
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Default 08-14-2017, 01:52 | posts: 174 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura89 View Post
To be honest, i more expected it with this release then the main ryzen release, because it's AMDs high end, expensive chips, and expensive motherboards, that i'm certain the market was very unsure of how fast it would sell, given peoples uncertainty with AMD throughout the past many years.
In some ways, that's true. Just like Ryzen 7 was their first Zen CPU, Ryzen Threadripper is their first HEDT CPU. In both cases, there was little data to go on so mobo manufacturers may have decided to err on the side of caution. Also, HEDT is a pretty niche market overall so overstocking wouldn't be wise - only a few people will pony up the money for these chips. Then again, we've never had a HEDT chip that was as cheap as the 1920X (they're usually $1K and over).

I just find it annoying to have to wait to build a system. I got my Ryzen 7 CPU almost immediately after launch, but it was sitting under my desk for weeks as I waited for the motherboard. After a month of waiting, I was so desperate that I swapped out my original purchase (MSI) for another board that happened to be in stock, which is how I ended up with my ASRock board. My 1950X just arrived today (weekend deliveries are always nice), and I hope I won't have to repeat my prior experience. Here's hoping.

Old
  (#177)
Andrew LB
Master Guru

Videocard: PNY GTX 780 ti @ 1,143mhz
Processor: i5-4670K @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: Asrock z87 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengence
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 08-14-2017, 10:10 | posts: 747 | Location: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia

Power consumption goes through the roof @ 4ghz overclocked.

Old
  (#178)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 980ti gaming 1490/7700
Processor: 1800x 3.92ghz 1.3 v
Mainboard: Asus CH VI x370
Memory: 16GB 3ghz ddr4
Soundcard: Asus strix pro
PSU: 850W SF platinum
Default 08-14-2017, 11:21 | posts: 6,628 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
Power consumption goes through the roof @ 4ghz overclocked.
And still not that bad vs comparably performing Intel most likely.

Old
  (#179)
gx-x
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 780Ti Gaming
Processor: intel i5 3570K
Mainboard: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: Hynix 2x4GB 1333 @CR 1T
Soundcard: Yamaha RX-V550 w/!JBL
PSU: tT SmartSE 530W
Default 08-14-2017, 15:21 | posts: 960 | Location: Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid_1 View Post
Ryzen 5 actually did very well, for gaming it is Much Much better value for money and even beat the 1950x in some tests (it was not in all the benchmarked games sadly).

The 1950x is most certainly not a "Master of all trades", though while clearly dominating in professional applications it is still really no big letdown in games - achieving around 120fps in many 1080p games.

In general if you want a 144Hz monitor with 1080p gaming though, then stay well clear on this chip (still can do that in a few games too!). Here the 7700K makes much more sense

If I wasn't as happy as I am with my pre-Sandybridge (currently 4GHz) 6c/12t Xeon I would be lining up to buy a Threadripper. It is a Damn Good option for many people.

EDIT:

I have noticed that in a lots of reviewers benchmarking, the 1950x does not appear to be ramping up to the expected 4.2GHz for some reason, I feel the cause is not always temperature related, so it seems possible that some future updates might release some performance improvements in my opinion. (still won't make it the best gaming chip though ofc )

I am agreeing with you, I actually support the idea of ryzen 5/7 is enough for gaming now and for years to come, that's why I ask how did that CPU do (I know how it would do, same/better than 1950x) at 4GHz because that result was excluded (would've made TR look silly at gaming price/perf)

edit: I am also happy with my PC @1080p @60fps V-sync. Not looking to make my gaming 2 times (figure of speech) more expensive by going 144Hz....

Last edited by gx-x; 08-14-2017 at 15:24.