SSD Jump and thoughts

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by allesclar, Jul 24, 2017.

1. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hey,

I was sceptical on making the jump, especially the price for upgrading to SSD.

I moved my 1TB SATA F1 Samsung into the second drive bay on my laptop as a "game only" drive for steam.

Ordered a Samsung EVO 500GB SSD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it.

1 week later with all my programmes installed, over 700GB's worth installed (across both hard drives), wow just wow.

Before my boot would take around 1 minute, now it is 5 seconds FLAT.

I cannot believe how quick this Samsung EVO is.

From now on, everything other than NAS storage hard drives, will be SSDs.

I know there are a lot of reviews out there etc, but thought I would let you know my own personal experience/expectation.

As Nike say, just do it!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Running an SSD only gaming rig for some years now, in the last years this has been the most crucial update in terms of perceived performance gain, even more so than a GPU upgrade from Geforce 580 to SLI 980s :D

3. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Welcome to the club OP! :)

Been running few SSD's in few of my home rigs for almost 5 years, few Intel 520's 120GB but just for OS and progs, not the fastest and latest I know but they were sh*t load expencive back then here were I am. No regrets on my side of wallet because I've bought them, they're still running like a champ, fast and reliable. Once you get SSD for OS and most used progs you'll never look back. Wish they were cheaper here, at least those with capacity between 500GB and 1TB so I could swap all my HDD's with SSD's but they're not, still pricey, but same as HDD's their prices eventually will go down to more affordable level.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nah, I will stay with HDDs - they train my patience.
    Also games` loading screens are the way they meant to be played. I even would advise to game devs to add special option - the time of loading screen.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

:)

I did consider the 1TB one, but without the experience of SSD i could not bite the bullet at £295 for it.

Now i know, i would definitely by a 1TB next time :)

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you have 700gbs worth of stuff installed on 500gb? how??

The speed diffrence from SSD vs HDD is night and day

7. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    I could never use a mechanical drive for my OS and stuff that needs to be fast after switching to my 1TB Crucial MX200 SSD. Loading into ARK took several minutes on my old system which wasn't exactly slow. It had an i5-2320 and 16GB RAM but used 1TB of spinning rust. Now ARK loads in a matter of seconds. Everything is basically instant with an SSD. Still have 7TB of HDDs for backup and stuff that doesnt need to load fast though.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Told ya so :nerd:

9. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Haha the next step is looking for faster SSD's. I got a NVMe Samsung 950 Pro this time. Then I do stuff like watch 500 GB of data transfer in like a minute flat between two SSD's. :banana:

10. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Edited my comment,

I meant collectively across the 500GB SSD and the 1TB HD (secondary) ;)

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, SSDs are great for booting Windows from but less so for games, except in a few instances were loading times are cut down significantly e.g. DOOM (2016). Most games load fine from mechanical hard drives in my experience (what you going to do with the few seconds you save anyway?) and so that is where the majority of my 850+ games are installed.

12. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Yeah, SSD's are awesome. I even had a 60gb SSD that cost me about $250 just as a boot drive to make my desktop experience better in every way before the price came down to get another 250gb SSD for my games. I still use mechanical drives for storage, but now I am on a 500gb SSD for everything and next will be a 1TB M.2 SSD

Glad you like it!

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    This is how I would rate the speed SSd= 10 Hdd=2 lol- I hate a crap-ton of programs on our desktop it loads everything in under 5 seconds while the hardrive would take well over a minute,I can do alot in that minute like....Drink a coffee ( turkish coffee ) for anyone who is serious or a power-user I would say a SSD is a must!

Also I noticed in Fallout 4 - I do not play anymore but when I did levels would load within 5 sec on ssd, hdd takes up to a minute.Time is Money guys.