Xbox 720 Could Require always-on DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

zoom it.

2. h0d

h0d Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Sea Hawk
    I always hear the Bane's voice in my head when I read you :p

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I am not a console gamer and won't buy one, but I really agree with your post 100% They will lose sales if they implement this and not really gain much of anything by it. :3eyes:

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I guess it's going to be more like one time authorisation instead of online all the time. It's just meant to be connected all the time to keep things synced and up to date. I think.

It would be stupid choice to require always on connection. What about those who bring their consoles to summer cottage where they have no internet connection?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

5. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Great move, M$ :D

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    consoles are trying too hard to be socially connected... i'm playing a video game to AVOID my family and friends, not stay in constant contact with them.:bang:

7. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    i reserve judgment for now, but im not liking this at the moment

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I agree. I play games to enter another world for a short time. To relax and forget about your live for a few hours.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Consoles for a long while now have been more than just a video game system, Microsoft has already labeled the 360 a social entertainment system. Now we're seeing more of that come into play

10. gahanfrost

gahanfrost New Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    It will be death of console gaming !

11. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Ahh lovely, new reasons for why console gaming sucks!
    Allthough... Anyone wanna bet that Windows 9 will feature always-on DRM as well? :p

12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Can someone, in this infinite circle jerk, point out where it even indicates that the Xbox will have a form of always online DRM as a requirement to play games, or lock your game to your console/account?

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You did read the first post?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Did you? I did. I actually followed it back to the original where the screenshot was posted. And no where in the original post, or in the SDK screenshots does it say anything about DRM. It's something Extremetech added for no reason other than to click bait with this ridiculous headline: "Xbox 720: Always-on DRM and mandatory game installs point to the death of used games" At least Hilbert edited that garbage into a decent headline.

It does say that there is a power state that allows the network connection to be active continuously but that's a far cry from always-on DRM. And no where does it talk about locking games to the consoles.

People take the words "report" "could" "may" way too substantially in this forum.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This one? Or you meant Hilbert's. Hilbert's says a bunch of things with 0 backing.

Things like...

I'm not sure how it matters that the console has to always be connected, or how it follows that if it is always connected, then it must be checking a license? Especially considering the PS4 has used exactly the same "always connected" terminology and yet has committed to exactly the opposite of the logic of the quoted statement.

I fail to understand how this follows logically either, especially considering the PC has been installing games to a hard disk for a very long time now, with no used game sales issues aside from select titles. It certainly doesn't follow that "if installed to hard disk then unable to be resold"

Has anyone, anyone, stopped to consider that maybe, maybe the damn thing just has so much RAM and hard disk space, and that these are so cheap these days, that it is slow and inefficient to stream from the disc drive? Has anyone even considered for a moment that PC games haven't streamed content from the disc for over a decade? Why is that? Because discs are too slow a medium for next generation games with enough textures and data to use 8GB of RAM at a given time. Not because "Screw gamers".

There is zero reason to believe this. What you have is a single inflammatory piece written on the smallest shreds of evidence and then disseminated to everyone, because you guys lap this stuff up by the gallon.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    To be fair it's definitely possible that you could put in place an always-on DRM system on top of those additions. In fact I'd say you could even assume that's what they are going to do based on current market trends in gaming. But there is a difference between "Could" and "Xbox 720: Always-on DRM and mandatory game installs point to the death of used games".

Hilbert's title at least painted uncertainty to the entire piece. Unfortunately many members of Guru3D ignore that uncertainty and just take it as fact. The same thing happened when the same rumor came out for the PS4. Same thing happened just yesterday about the Android 5 report. It happens every time some rumor is posted to this forum.

17. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Just don't buy it ;D i wonder what microsoft reaction would be: "OMG DRM made sales worse"

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, if what Hilbert said isnt true, my apologies.
    I took him at his word.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's not hard to type in Google and find site after site saying the same thing. Can't all be wrong, can they?

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    To be fair, just because a lot of other sites might say the same thing, doesn't make it automatically right. And also, can't see hilbert saying something like this without reason, or pulling it out of his ass.