RadeonPro and Morphological AA alternatives for Nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SVillaF, Aug 22, 2014.

1. SVillaF

SVillaF Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 290
    Hi!

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

I have like 3 years without Nvidia so I don't know if the people with Nvidia have alternatives for those two.

I think that Inspector is maybe RadeonPro's counterpart, but is Inspector still being constantly updated?

And well, I like Morphological AA because I can put AA to any game (I hate jaggies, a lot), so I don't know If i can do something similar with an Nvidia.

Thanks for your answers.

2. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    We have driver-based fxaa which can be applied to both d3d and ogl. I've heard that fxaa was Nvidia's response to AMD morphological filtering.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, Nvidia has FXAA. Not only is it faster, it also looks better and has better compatibility.

4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    It doesn't look better than MLAA 2.0, FXAA is way more blurry.
    SMAA is best simple PP-AA though.

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    You can still use RadeonPro to force SMAA with an nVidia card.
    I do it with many games. Just ignore the message about failure to load the ati.xxx libaries on loading up the program.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I have to disagree on both accounts.

And once you add in downsampling. FXAA is often one of the best choices since the blurring is next to non-existent in high resolutions.

7. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    I've never seen RadeonPro work on an nVidia card …

8. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I use it for forcing Triple Buffering and sometimes for SMAA, I haven't bothered with anything else.

9. Goose

Goose Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Hybrid (+ GT745)
    Well: I mostly want it to let me adjust a framerate limit with a keypress; I have other tools, already, for the other things I want done. :nerd:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  10. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    You don't need radeonpro at all for smaa.

11. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I know but I already use RadeonPro for TB so I might as well it for SMAA as well when I need it.

12. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Sold my 2x7850 last summer...buy this one (gtx760). Never look back. Also, mlaa sucks big time...even in games with native mlaa support. "Crawling" anti-aliased edges while in motion just awful...

Also, not to mention better post-aa (fxaa), Nvidia has txaa; forced with custom flags sgssaa, ogssaa, hsaa, trssaa...and physx. But actually only one game on my mind where physx works beautifully - Warframe. IMO, of course...

Did I mention Hbao+? :)

PS. Dunno how thing with "R-series" atm, but quality of downsampling on Nvidia looks way better...at least compared to my previous 7850.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    So you have a Radeon graphics card to enable MLAA 2.0 via driver?
    Haven't seen yet any game that comes along with it...

FXAA is always worse than SMAA regarding removal of aliasing.
    Guess why latter one is more expensive.

14. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    [Content Deleted]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  15. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    IQ: SMAA 1x > MLAA 2.0 > FXAA
    Performance: FXAA = MLAA 2.0 > SMAA 1x

FXAA is definitely the blurriest of the bunch. MLAA is hard to tell apart from SMAA in terms of sharpness, but SMAA has slightly better edge smoothing and clearly handles sub-pixel artifacts better.

I know Witcher 2 predates MLAA 2.0, but the custom MLAA it uses looks friggin' amazing. Great edge smoothing, as sharp as no AA, and actually increases texture definition. One of the best PPAA implementations I've ever seen (better than SMAA 1x IMO), but the performance impact is not small.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

16. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Smaa and mlaa are very, very good...at static image :p But In motion it's awful...two words can describe smaa and mlaa - "Edge Crawling". Fxaa a lilttle bit blurier but only at low resolutions. At resolutions beyond 1440p it's far superior then smaa and mlaa. This goes for Nvidia's default FXAA. But if someone wants FXAA w/o much bluring and at max quality you can always use SFX (version which supports FXAA) this those settings which i'm using:

#define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 39
    #define fxaa_Subpix 0.000
    #define fxaa_EdgeThreshold 0.001
    #define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin 0.001

PS. also, Nvidia's default FXAA "blurriness" can be differ to driver versions. It depends on whether they changed the fxaa settings or not and on what has been changed...

17. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    So combine SMAA/MLAA with high resolution and it's still better than FXAA.

18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    True, although RGSSAA on the AMD cards is still a better quality and more performant than Nvidia's SGSSAA solution. I wish Nvidia added RGSSAA to their cards.

19. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Why should I? Fxaa at high res looks better :) And this:

Also, I personally trying to not using a post-aa if where hardware aa are in place. Ever in-game or via custom Inspector's flag...

PS. Before this i5 and gtx760, I was a huge AMD fan...was sitting on AMD cpu's/ gpu's for past 7-10 years (my last intel cpu was PIII). But not anymore...

PPS. It's not that i am an Intel/ Nvidia fan atm, but I was just very surpised by Intel's performance and Nvidia's possibility of fine-tuning their card's settings via Inspector and such.

Does RGSSAA works in many games?..I mean compared to forced (Inspector) with custom flag sgssaa, ogssaa?

20. Kleio

Kleio Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780
    im sorry you dont understand nor do you know what your talking about, fxaa has a very small memory requirement and takes a couple ms to do depending on your gpu, smaa x1 is not better looking in terms of grabbing edges and im pretty sure smaax1 doesnt even support sub-pixle aliasing idk if fxaa does for that matter.Anyway its not until you combine msaa into the mix for smaa to really take off now your getting geometry aliasing , texture, and sub-pixel all in one process rather then two aa's going at once. next smaat2x your combing temperal super sampling of the shader aliasing smaa4x you now have a suped up version of smaa t2x so plan and jane smaa 1x sucks its only good cause of persevering edge sharpness which fxaa could fix if nvidia cared to but they have not shown interest lately into fxaa and amd's mlaa 2.0 is a mix of smaa and fxaa if you would which is really up to the users choice but it still has a larger performance hit then fxaa and doesnt catch as many edges .. What it really comes down to is a properly designed game to take advantage of txaa and then compare it to smaa x4 and these are the future of anti-aliasing methods by no means are they perfect but are a huge improvement over just msaa which has to many problems to be worth the memory bandwidth it just doesnt catch them all:)