New build single channel memory!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Lowki, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Hey guys I just put together a living room build for playing games on the tv as well as movies and streaming. The specs follow amd 8350 cpu, msi 990fxa gd65 mobo, radeon 7950 gpu, 8gb corsair 1866mhz ddr3, 650 psu and 1tb hdd. my issue is I cant get my memory to run in dual channel cpuz shows single no matter what I do. I don't see any options in the bios to change it from single to dual. The motherboard is a couple years old was in another old build with a 1090t. Any suggestions please. (edit) I also swapped ram from my other main rig and same thing.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    reset CMOS?

3. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    yes I reset the cmos like seriously 10 times. I updated the bios. swapped ram with my other comp. Swapped dimm configs. I even went as far as to reinstall windows 8.1pro .

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You got both dimms in the same channel. Read your motherboard manual.....

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    .... yes that's what it is lmao! come on man I tried swapping configurations this motherboard is like 4 years old I'm wondering if its damaged.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Has the bios been updated?

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yes It has. I noticed something my bios only shows these as being 1333 with a max output of 1700 some. there supposed to be 1866. My 1600 corsair wouldn't run in dual channel either on this motherboard though.

8. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    The MSI 990FXA GD65 is a very odd motherboard, especially when it comes to RAM.

I couldn't get any changes to memory config to save at all until I realised you have to save and exit the bios then immediately re-enter the bios and then save and exit again to get it to apply the settings. this was recently confirmed by an other user on the MSI support forum.

This may not be the cause of the issue you're having but could be worth a try.

I also had similar problems to you with my original set of Kingson hyperX predator although they could have been faulty. Kingston replaced my originals using samsung chips with a new set using hynix chips and they have been working fine since.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  9. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I got an update. I went ahead and thought id run cinebench just to see the score and my cpu is overheating at stock clocks on stock cooler. Im starting to think I got a bad chip and need to replace it. I've never heard of a cpu reaching 89c and shutting down at stock clocks what do you guys think?

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If cooler`s plate is not pressed to CPU`s top it is possible

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Or the cooler isn't seated on the CPU properly. When I built my rig I was testing using the stock cooler to make sure everything worked and it wasn't seated properly and I was getting an idle temp of 88C which I knew was too hot even for a stock cooler. What are your Idle temps?

12. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I pulled off the cpu cooler to check just that and when I did the 8350 pulled out with it stuck to the cooler. even with the pins locked. So I think it was seated right. Im wondering if the stock cooler just isn't sufficient. Looks to me as the same cooler that came with my old 1090t. I'm thinking i will pick up a cheap vertical cooler like the cooler master 212 or something and see if it resolves the temps. Also just so you know the airflow is good the case is a cooler master cosmos se. my idle temps are really low like at 13c reading from core temp then they jump fast to 23 and down to 17 weird readings seems like there not correct at how fast they jump up when the cpu is put under load.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It seems like there is a bug with the temp readings somewhere. What software are you using to get your temp readings?

Yeah go for a 212 it is a great cooler for the price.

14. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    core temp I just got off the phone with amd im taking the chip back and getting a replacement they say the chip shouldn't run over 62c at stock clocks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's normal, you won't see an accurate temp reading before about 45c. Until then the socket sensor is most reliable, it's by design.

I don't know why your ram isn't running in dual channel though.

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Yeah I've pretty much giving up. Something with the motherboard. I'm not going to pay over 100 bucks for like 2% performance increases. This build is running on an 46 inch dlp 720p hdtv. Controller games only . On that topic xbstart is an awesome program for a living room build. Also I have to say anyone thinking about building an 8350 rig dump that stock cooler in the garbage. It's a liability. I exchanged mine for a new one and got a cooler master hyper t4. Now when I run cinebench my temps never go above 60C.