What does GPU fans do if MSI Afterburner is closed or doesn't load?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by gsaunders, Nov 24, 2011.

1. gsaunders

gsaunders Guest

GPU:
    ASUS and EVGA GTX 470 SLI
    With the MSI Afterburner I have the fan set on auto form user defined settings which keep it relatively cool.

However if I close MSI Afterburner it seems the GPU does not retain any settings for fan controls. What does it do? Does it go back to some default auto protection?

I ask because it definitely starts getting hot much quicker... very hot. Anyway... just wondering what the GPU does when it is unloaded or not loaded at all.

Thanks,

Greg

2. ACHILEE5

ACHILEE5 Guest

GPU:
    GTX480 Sli
    Hello mate :)

When Afterburner isn't running your cards will indeed use their default fan profiles set in their bios from the makers of the cards.
    And because our cards can operate up to 105c max! The default fan profile doesn't ramp up the fan speeds until the temps get high!

3. gsaunders

gsaunders Guest

GPU:
    ASUS and EVGA GTX 470 SLI
    Thanks... It was getting freaking hot before it started to kick in. Just doesn't seem like you should get it that hot.

Actually yesterday I was doing a graphic test and mine was at 100c and the fans hadn't kicked in yet which worried me. I will give it another test later and see if it kicks on as I was in the middle of a lot of different testing and I may have screwed up something.

What is amazing is how the whole system idles HOTTER just by having a second GTX470 in SLI sitting idle.

Thanks again.

Greg