DSR and LOD Bias in CS:GO

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Safewood, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Safewood

Safewood Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650Ti Boost
    LOD Bias and TextureOverride in CS:GO [Updated]

1.) Downscale from a higher resolution down to 1024 x 768 on a 16:9 monitor. Solved by using Gedosato.

Gedosato settings:
    #render
    renderResolution 1920x1440@120

#present
    presentWidth 1024
    presentHeight 768
    presentHz 120

#scaling
    scalingType lanczos

2.) LOD bias resets back to "0.000" in Nvidia Inspector every time I launch CS:GO.

Since it seems Valve has restricted LOD bias in some way, I thought perhaps enableTextureDumping and enableTextureOverride from Gedosato could do the trick.

Tried to follow these two:
    1.) forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1820040-how-do-i-edit-dark-souls-ii-textures/#entry15722810
    2.) forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1820040-how-do-i-edit-dark-souls-ii-textures/page-2#entry16354690

However, I can't get it to dump the textures from CS:GO.

Code:
    enableTextureDumping true
    Directory: C:\Program Files\GeDoSaTo\textures\csgo\dump

Sources: pastebin.com/J0rN6utj

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ok well first, you can't scale different aspect ratios to different aspect ratios with DSR.

You can only scale to your devices reported native resolution (EDID).

There are no ways to upsample currently.

2ndly you do not NEED Negative LOD bias with CSGO, the game has enough shimmering and crawling as it is.

the only way you could get a different LoD bias is via SGSSAA (it does not apply without it. Though IIRC there is a way to force it without. Can't remember)> And again, you don't need it with this game. Even with SGSSAA since it's really sharp.

16:9 of 1024x768 is technically 1366x768 (And technically it's not perfect 16:9 either.)

So i'm not entirely understanding what exactly it is you want here.
    Just better IQ? Better performance?

Short of downsampling+SGSSAA. It is impossible to get perfect IQ in CS:GO since there are so many vast aliasing problems.

If you just want better IQ and want to downsample to a lower resolution, you need to be using a different monitor with a lower resolution. Like a CRT with a reported native resolution along the lines of 1152x864 or 1280x1024 or 1024x768.

OR, you can just do regular downsampling via driver scaling or DSR if you want.

I just play with 1.4x1.4+FXAA on a 1600x900 monitor with regular driver downscaling.

I should also note that with CS:GO the crosshair scales with resolution, so you will have to adjust that if you do use downsampling.

And if you are simply wanting a sharper image, you can't create detail that doesn't exist in the original textures. However you can try sharpening with SweetFX if that is what you are after

3. Safewood

Safewood Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650Ti Boost
    Thanks a lot for elaborate response. I will try out SweetFX. :)

My apology for wording myself so badly (I'm even worse in my own language), but let me try once more.

What I'm trying to achieve is a low Field of View and high positive LOD bias, with crisp image quality.

In CS:GO, the FOV is locked to the aspect ratio and resolution you use. So to get a lower field of view, you have to go in Nvidia Control Panel, and to "Adjust desktop size and position".
    Change Scaling to "GPU", tick "Override scaling~" and select "Full screen". Then go in-game to the video settings and change aspect ratio to 4:3 and resolution to 1024 x 768.

This will make the driver scale (or what the correct term would be) the image to the monitor's display, which in return gives you a lower Field of View.
    The drawbacks to this, is the blurriness. What I had in mind, was to make use of DSR (or something alike it) to use a higher resolution with 4:3 aspect ratio, then downscale it back to 1024 x 768.

Furthermore, increase the LOD bias to +3 or +15, to get flat textures. Even if it defeats the purpose of crisp image quality, I'd very much like a high positive LOD bias (flat textures like in Quake). Though I'm sure DSR would help.
    However, I fear Valve has blocked or restricted many variables in Nvidia Inspector, such as Ambient Occlusion compatibility, Antialiasing compatibility and LOD bias.

Though I never wanted to use Ambient Occlusion for the "see-through smoke" exploit, just low Field of View and flat textures with crisp image quality. :)

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I use geodasato on my gfs sons pc I built him. He has a 15 inch 1024x768 res.
    I downsample using 1600x1200 and 1920x1440 depending on the games.
    Makes an insane difference on IQ.
    He is 9 so he doesnt need anything crazy, I just find it fun to tinker with.

5. Safewood

Safewood Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650Ti Boost
    Thanks a lot, Agonist. That did exactly what I wanted; much appreciated for your settings, too. :)

Though I unfortunately got one issue still at hand. LOD bias resets back to "0.000" every time I launch CS:GO.

These are the various settings that I've tried. The pastebin in OP has most of the sources that I've tried to use.

Programs:
    Nvidia Inspector 1.9.7.3
    Nvidia Inspector 1.9.5.5
    GeForce 3D Profile Manager
    GeForce SLi Profile Tool

Compatibility:
    Antialiasing compatibility: 0x00000000, 0x000000C0, 0x000000C1, 0x0000002C
    Antialiasing fix: On, Off
    SLI compatibility bits: 0x00C02005 (Call of Duty 2, Team Fortress 2), 0x03402005 (Counter-strike: Global Offensive, Firefall)

Antialiasing:
    Antialiasing - Behavior Flags: None, Treat 'Override' as 'Application', Treat 'Override' as 'Enhance'
    Antialiasing - Gamma correction: Off
    Antialiasing - Line gamma: Default
    Antialiasing - Mode: Override any application setting
    Antialiasing - Setting: Application-controlled, 2x [2x Multisampling], AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERSAMPLE_4X_BIAS
    Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling: AA_MODE_REPLAY_MODE_ALL, 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling, 2x Supersampling

Texture Filtering:
    Anistropic filtering mode: Application-controlled, User-defined
    Anistropic filtering setting: Off [Linear]
    Texture filtering - Driver Controlled LOD Bias: On, Off
    Texture filtering - LOD Bias (DX): 1.000 - 3.000 - 10.000 - 15.000

6. ELKR

ELKR Guest

GPU:
    1080ti 11gb
    For anyone reading this thread (it comes up on google) you do not need to change texture LOD when using DSR.

A copy of every texture is made like so -> 4096x4096 -> 2048x2048 -> 1024x1024 -> etc... -> 1x1.
    If a texture is taking up a 50x50 area on your screen it will use the 32x32 or if there is trilinear interpolation it's a mix of both 64x64 and 32x32 samples. With 4x dsr the area will take up 100x100 instead of 50x50 and use the correct mipmap(s) (texture LOD).

You only need to change texture lod for supersampling ANTI-ALIASING for example 4xSGSSAA and 2x2 OGSSAA would load the 32x32 + 64x64 intead of the 64x64 + 128x128 (64x64 + 128x128 would give optimal quality.)

http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

The formula for determining the correct lod bias is "y = -0.5 * log, base 2, of (n)" where n is the number of samples and y is the correct lod bias.

Set negative lod to allow and set the lod bias as follows:
    1x2 OGSSAA (2 samples): -0.5
    2x1 OGSSAA (2 samples): -0.5
    2xSGSSAA (2 samples): -0.5
    2x2 OGSSAA (4 samples): -1.0
    4xSGSSAA (4 samples): -1.0
    8xSGSSAA (8 samples): -1.5
    3x3 OGSSAA (9 samples): -1.58 (or as close as you can get)
    4x4 OGSSAA (16 samples): -2.0
    but for dsr use 0

BuildeR2 and yasamoka like this.