How can i get user defined fan curve to load automaticly with windows?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Danny Nissan, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Danny Nissan

Danny Nissan Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    hello!

i have a reference sapphire HD4890 and everything with MSI Afterburner (overclock, overvolt etc) works fine with it and loads up properly at boot.

However, my user defined curve seems to bug more often than not. On some cold boots, the fan just ends up being stuck at 50% all the time. On other boots, the fan just uses the default fan curve, not my user defined one.

Am i doing something wrong? I have ticked the 'apply overclocking at system startup'. I have also tried ticking the 'start with windows' and 'start minimized' in settings, but it doesnt help.

I am using the 12.2 preview drivers atm.

thanks for any help :)

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's mixed Afterburner/CCC usage issue, it sets its own fan speed at startup and depending on startup order either CCC or Afterburner may take control on fan. Don't use multilple fan control tools at the same time, it will always result in such issues, so either disable Overdrive in CCC to prevent it from changing fan speed at startup or use some tricks to ensure that Afterburner starts after CCC (different startup scheduling tools, or add artifical delay to Afterburner startup via CFG/StartupDelay (in milliseconds)).

Also, to use user defined software fan control "Start with Windows" must be ticked. "Apply overclocking at Windows startup" just applies settings and unloads Afterburner from memory, but user defined mode requires Afterburner to reside in memory in order to work.

3. Danny Nissan

Danny Nissan Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    Thank you for a very informative answer Unwinder.

I have not enabled overdrive in CCC (it is fully disabled so i cant change any of its settings) and only use MSI afterburner so i think the issue is the thing you point out, that CCC maybe loads after Afterburner sometimes.

I will play around with the StartupDelay option (testing 20 seconds).

Thank you again Unwinder!