Dell Dimension 3100 + GT 730

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by brianf, May 15, 2016.

1. brianf

brianf New Member

My wife is uses this PC daily and I have upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) with great success.
    We recently decided to purchase a widescreen monitor (LG 22MP57). However, the onboard graphics chipset does not have a driver upgrade path for widescreen. Consequently, the best compromise we could achieve was an image that was stretched horizontally (1024x768).
    I then found that Zotac has a PCIe x1 version of the GT 730 so I purchased one, fitted it and downloaded the latest driver. That's when the trouble started. On installation, there was immediately a black screen so I had to go through the multiple restart procedure to get into Safe Mode and disable or uninstall the driver.
    To cut a long story short, I have reached the point where it seems the NVIDIA driver is incompatible with something. I have used DDU to uninstall all NVIDIA drivers and block Windows Update but still MS wins and manages to install the NVIDIA driver. The Windows Basic Display Adapter does interface to the GT 730 and provides the required 1920x1080 resolution via an HDMi connection so we would be happy with that - if it wasn't for the enforced updates.
    So my question is, can I do anything else to 'normalise' the situation or have I reached the best compromise?

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    usually it should just work on its own, but is their an option in the bios to use only the discrete video card?

3. brianf

brianf New Member

Yes, there is Auto and Onboard. It is set to Auto.

4. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I imagine using the built in windows drivers are fine, they wont be quite as up to date or as feature filled as the ones from nvidia but they will do the trick.

5. brianf

brianf New Member

Agreed. The difficulty is preventing Windows Update from re-installing the NVIDIA driver. I haven't yet mastered that process. As far as I can see, it's an all or nothing situation. There seems to be no 'selective' setting for updates.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  6. brianf

brianf New Member

I think I've found a way to prevent the driver downloads. On another forum, I read about the Windows Update management utility called 'wushowhide.diagcab'. This utility is shipped with most versions of Windows 10. When you run it, this utility will go online and search for currently available updates and then allow you to 'hide' the unwanted files so they will be ignored in future. Windows Update will not install the hidden files so they are effectively blocked. I can foresee future flaws in this process (such as later updates having a different name, so they might not be hidden) but it certainly seems to have done the job for now. Time will tell.

7. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    The way I blocked Windows 10 from installing drivers for my 9800gtx+ used for physx with my Fury X was adding the hardware ids to the exception list.

8. brianf

brianf New Member

Pardon my ignorance but where do you find the exceptions list?