[PSU] My Power Supply just died!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jetsu, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Jetsu

Jetsu New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9400 GT 1GB
    Greetings.

I built my PC a year and several months ago which seemed to be running perfectly fine. Suddenly, my PSU died. When I came home my PC was showing me a black screen and I was hearing what I think is one of my fans (I have two case fans and AMD HD 6870) spinning abnormally loud. Having no response from my PC, I forced shutdown my PC. I turned it on, and to my surprise it said "Overclocking failed!". I was astonished being that I have had my PC at the same clock for over 12 months. (Most of it was due to Turbo II Key and I just bumped it up about 20 MHz because I wanted to get it a little higher). After restarting it booted up normal for several hours then suddenly my PSU just flat out died. No fans, no anything. I got a 450W and took out my 6870 and here I am. I looking to get a good PSU. I had http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4558896&CatId=4294

(Could have sworn it was Gold Certified but I am uncertain now.)

What would be, in your opinion, the best 800W PSU?

2. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    Link doesn't work. What are your PC specs? How much money you can spend on PSU? Need modular cables or high efficiency?

3. Jetsu

Jetsu New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9400 GT 1GB
    Sorry, I can't believe I forgot the specs D:

Specs:
    Windows Ultimate 7 x64
    AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 3.4 @ 3.6 GHz
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro
    OCZ 8GB RAM 1333MHz
    XFX AMD Radeon BlackEdition HD 6870 1GB
    Ultra X4 Modular Power Supply 750W(Dead)

I would like to use a modular power supply because I have a bunch of cables that I could use.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

5. Jetsu

Jetsu New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9400 GT 1GB
    My system is AMD based having said that, do you think that there would be problems with the Intel based PSU you sent me?
    I'm looking for a 750w Gold Certified PSU.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    previous link :
    is there specifically designed for intel psus? AFAIK, they got same v12 and v3 connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Profe...5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333648996&sr=1-5

^^ gold certificated 750w psu. However I don't get why people going after that. Unless you running 24/7 and having very high quality or sensitive components, I don't think there is reason going for gold certificated PSU.

Silver or Bronze should be enough for daily usage (if you connect cables properly and maintain hardware from time to time).