Rage

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mcharj11, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    These two screens do a good job of showing how the patch.

Before...
    [​IMG]

After patch...
    [​IMG]
    (sorry about the size)

And yeah, while it's not the perfect solution... it's a nice effort on id's part to try and do something to make the textures look better. Most other studios would've just ignored it and moved on to something else.
    Megatexture... isn't perfect. It's definitely got some issues. But, most of id's stuff is like that. The real light lighting and shadows in Doom 3 looked awesome, but Carmack has said over and over how bad of an idea they were.

2. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
  3. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Can't get vsync to work, getting bad tearing.

When I enable vsync in game I get a black screen.

When I force in through CCC it does not work.

Using Cat 12.2 preview.

4. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720

I managed to force Vsync in the autoexec, but it is still tearing just with a laggy mouse...

I know there was this issue in the past where you had to force it in CCC to work correctly.

However when I force it on in CCC it disabled it in rage regardles of my autoexec.

:bang::bang::bang:

This game and AMD driver just seem to hate each other.

I give up, too tired for this. Either the latest AMD driver is trash or the new patch has broken vsync even more. Somehow I think AMD is at fault.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Not wanting to blame AMD but vsync seems fine here, but only tried it out for 5mins, but sure i remember it breaking with certain drivers.

The new benchmark seems to like HT though, with it disabled which i usually do, i get a warning when enabling setting Texture Detail to High, says that i don't have enough cores, also give me a score of 110, if i enable HT then i get 187.

It is a visible improvement for me, though at times it does feel like i've just modded an old game.

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I get 121 on the benchmark, I take you are running with GPU transcoding?

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, was 107 with it disabled, but its higher with HT enabled even when i'm using the GPU transcoding.

If it wasn't 2am i would mess about and see what the mimimum was for smooth gameplay, but sounds like a Friday night job if i can avoid the pub.

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I'm getting some bad frame rate drops with the detail texture option, driving in the wastelands at the big intersection I have seen it go down to 25fps.

With it off same section locked 60.

Just getting nothing but issues atm , will have to mess around with it at the weekend. Either drivers are screwed or my old autoexec is causing issues.

9. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    5 months of waiting for a patch, and they don't add SLI support. I get 51 on the benchmark, and am unable to enable GPU transcoding due to 'insufficient memory"

With a RIG like mine, I should eat this game for breakfast, but no. 5 months of waiting only to have the textures pop in as badly as ever, and no way of utilizing SLI.

Goodbye ID Software, and FUKC you.

10. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I ran the bench several times and got 296-300. Is this entirely due to hyperthreading? I've noticed several guys with similar rigs scoring far lower. Am I missing something?

I use gpu transcoding, and the game does run flawlessly for me, but damn, I can't decide if the "de-blurring" is better or worse. It's been said many times, but I've never seen a game look so pretty when taking in the long-view that will absolutely shock you when examining your surroundings closely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    before this new patch I could play just fine would slow down in big open areas but still playable now fps drops down hard and almost unplayable if you like everything in slow mo with no custom config file I get 71 in benching with my old config file i get between 64-71 seems a bit smoother but still unplayable good job Id seems they've been taking lessons from bethesda and elder scrolls team :puke2:

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I got 230 on my PC with transcoding and I've always had hyperthreading enabled.

Definitely better with Texture Detail on in that screenshot as the top image looks very bland and almost textureless in comparison with the one below it.

13. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I cant express how disappointed I am with the performance of this patch, really. Everything seems sharper, but at what cost; massive fps spikes, lockups, texture filling, you name it. One step forward, two steps back lol. I see AMD releasing a few more drivers for this. :(

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    iD/AMD need to work together on this, seeing pretty unacceptable performance on high end rigs, and looks like you have to score about 200 and over to get a solid 60fps with the new patch.

Probably won’t be another big OpenGL game till Doom4 though, so I doubt either are in much of a rush.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The transcoding benchmark thing?

That's Nvidia exclusive as it utilizes CUDA so AMD can't really do much (HDD and RAM instead if you want a improvement there, though that about the HDD goes for both AMD and NV since that's were the texture are loaded from.), that said I have the detail option disabled now as the noise isn't really that great as a option to increase texture detail as I see it and performance is pretty good even with a large amount of tweaks applied to really push the game engine, not that there's all that much that can be done though since most commands are locked although what little that works is still pretty effective. :)

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    had graphics corrupting, I reset nvidia profile for rage and verified files and problem went away

I got 265 on benchmark

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  17. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
  18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, and excuse my ignorance and lack of knowledge about up to date AMD/ATI tech here, but I always assumed this was using Cuda for the transcoding in the same way as it does for video transcoding, surely AMD could of added something similar with Stream.

19. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Seems you need a Nvidia card and GPU transcoding enabled to maintain 60 with the new detail setting.

Either that or more vid memory?

As I said I go down to 25fps in the Wasteland intersection with the detail setting enabled. Unacceptable drop for a sharpening shader lol.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    My understanding isn't much better but I believe Stream processing was the initial attempt to accelerate this streaming process (Via OpenCL or such I believe.) but CUDA was then tried and found to be much faster for this specific work so it was used instead.
    (CUDA is however NVidia specific and exclusive to their cards, so far at least.)

Via this I assume CPU load is lessened and RAM usage probably lowers a bit with the GPU and VRAM used instead (Well it's used anyway but for this specific task.) thus performance is improved but only on very new GPU models due to how much it requires of the GPU in order to handle this at optimal speed, otherwise a multi-core CPU is probably on-par with mid-range GPU hardware and more recent models might keep up even better, unsure about how Rage scales but I guess it can handle eight cores or maybe better but I would assume above four or so it's more about efficiency and clock speed.
    (Just a assumption, I know CPU usage has improved a lot recently with much improved support for quad core and multi-threading though games are a bit behind software applications and similar utilities though there are exceptions.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.